Capitol Hill 1L Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Capitol Hill 1L Summer?

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Do many 1Ls/rising 2Ls spend their summer on Capitol Hill (i.e., for a congressman)? I can see on my school directory that it HAS been done but I'm not sure if it's especially commonplace, or even acceptable (in the minds of future employers) or recommended. Hoping someone with experience can chime in.

Curious to know what the responsibilities are, given that, at least at my school, the work has to be supervised by a licensed attorney.

Thanks.

wwwcol

Re: Capitol Hill 1L Summer?

Postby wwwcol » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:46 pm

ya people do it and there's nothing wrong with it for OCI purposes if you're wondering about that (and IME it may even be a little bonus if you want DC Biglaw). i think senate side is more common that house, in part because there is much more interest in sen. judiciary. if work has to be supervised by licensed attorney, then maybe limit your apps to offices with leg counsel? responsibilities are gonna vary widely by office and member's committee (if you're thinking about doing personal offices), but a lot of drafting/updating memos on new issues/legislation, drafting response letters to constituents on law-related issues, etc. i suspect there may be differences in working for a personal office and a committee but can't comment intelligently on what those differences are

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Depends on your role. If it's working for the staff on the Senate Judiciary Committee or doing some other kind of work that is obviously legal in nature, as opposed to political, then it's fine. Just make sure to emphasize the legal aspect of the work on your resume.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am

I've only heard of people interning for senators on Judiciary, but their work seemed pretty cool (and perfectly good for OCI). I believe that every committee has majority and minority counsel, and it seems like some of these would hire interns, but I've never heard of this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 am

I'd only recommend doing it if it's in a legal role, like judiciary. I think it actually can (mildly) hurt you in your OCI interviews if you are just in a policy role and are looking for a position outside DC.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone speak to the competitiveness of landing an externship with a rep. or on a committee?

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 pm

By "rep" do you mean just House, or are you talking about both chambers?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 pm

wwwcol wrote:By "rep" do you mean just House, or are you talking about both chambers?

Fair. I mean either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 am

3L here headed to clerk for a senator on the Judiciary Committee this summer after graduation and before beginning a couple of judicial clerkships. The feeling I received from the interview process was that spots are typically very limited in senators' offices. The only reason I received the interview was that my judges knew the senator's chief counsel and made some phone calls. The folks there told me that the competitive nature was largely due to the limited amount of space in the offices available for clerks.

I would highly recommend the opportunity if you receive it, particularly if you're interested in judicial clerkships and eventually working for the government. The networking is invaluable. Just keep in mind the power of a senator's name on your resume as that will signal your ideological tendencies and can help or hinder you in the future.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here headed to clerk for a senator on the Judiciary Committee this summer after graduation and before beginning a couple of judicial clerkships. The feeling I received from the interview process was that spots are typically very limited in senators' offices. The only reason I received the interview was that my judges knew the senator's chief counsel and made some phone calls. The folks there told me that the competitive nature was largely due to the limited amount of space in the offices available for clerks.

I would highly recommend the opportunity if you receive it, particularly if you're interested in judicial clerkships and eventually working for the government. The networking is invaluable. Just keep in mind the power of a senator's name on your resume as that will signal your ideological tenancies and can help or hinder you in the future.

Thanks for the info. Congrats on the SWeet gigs!

I may have the chance to intern for a senior rep. on one of Ways & Means / Judiciary / Rules -- do you think that would be worthwhile as a 1L?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here headed to clerk for a senator on the Judiciary Committee this summer after graduation and before beginning a couple of judicial clerkships. The feeling I received from the interview process was that spots are typically very limited in senators' offices. The only reason I received the interview was that my judges knew the senator's chief counsel and made some phone calls. The folks there told me that the competitive nature was largely due to the limited amount of space in the offices available for clerks.

I would highly recommend the opportunity if you receive it, particularly if you're interested in judicial clerkships and eventually working for the government. The networking is invaluable. Just keep in mind the power of a senator's name on your resume as that will signal your ideological tendencies and can help or hinder you in the future.

Feel free to PM me if you get the chance.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:56 pm

*BUMPing*

zosluu

Postby zosluu » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:

I would highly recommend the opportunity if you receive it, particularly if you're interested in judicial clerkships and eventually working for the government. The networking is invaluable. Just keep in mind the power of a senator's name on your resume as that will signal your ideological tenancies and can help or hinder you in the future.

Thanks for the info. Congrats on the SWeet gigs!

I may have the chance to intern for a senior rep. on one of Ways & Means / Judiciary / Rules -- do you think that would be worthwhile as a 1L?

Message me if you need any advice. I interned at a lobbying firm on the Hill last Summer. Lots of opportunities there and all the lobbyists are usually attorneys

Return to “Legal Employment”