London Magi Circle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mal Reynolds

Re: London Magi Circle

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:06 am

fats provolone wrote:do magi circle firms give good gifts?

You're the best.

rilakkuma_nyc

Re: London Magi Circle

Postby rilakkuma_nyc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at US firm in London right now, and I used to work at a Magic Circle. The following COLA information might be useful:

Freshfields: £25,000 (GBP)
Linklaters: $60,000
Cravath: $109,000
Latham: $100,000
Simpson: $66,000
Kirkland: $100,000

Out of the above, I would recommend Latham. They have one of the top reputations in the market, have a huge team (60+ US/JD lawyers, 200+ lawyers total in London) and bill less than Cravath and Kirkland. Also, if you work for a US firm over here, you will probably focus on high-yield debt work. High yield is especially grueling compared to other corporate work (most associates at US firms in London bill 2,200 hours to 3,000 hours (Cravath and Kirkland seriously have you billing near 3,000 hours) per year). If you go to a magic circle (except for Links), you will probably also get to do more equity and investment-grade debt deals. Your hours are also generally lower at magic circles (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently) and you can make a long-term career at those firms. Firms like Cravath, Latham and Kirkland will grind you up and spit you out after 2-3 years.

Can anyone tell me a little more about Ropes & Gray London? They seem to be expanding fairly quickly.

Return to “Legal Employment”