London Magi Circle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: London Magi Circle

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:34 pm

ymmv wrote:Yeah, all dragons are immune to all debilitating effects. Most major quest bosses can't be weakened either.

That explains my slowed casting, because I'm not getting mana feedback from the veil talents.

You're welcome for improving this thread, everyone.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:34 pm

ymmv wrote:
fats provolone wrote:my favorite party is me (dw tempest rogue), sera (tempest archer), varric (artificer archer) (dem buffs), cassandra (all the taunt and guard shit)

I got sick of babysitting the dumbass suicidal Rogue AI and eventually started leaving them behind for the more challenging fights. My ultimate dragon killing team (without KEs) was me (Rift/Storm Mage) + full-support Solas + tank Cassandra + high-DPS Iron Bull.

lol yea sometimes its almost easier solo i just like the animations. have you seen the video of the dude that solos the highland ravager on nightmare w/ a single thousand cuts?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:35 pm

fats provolone wrote:
ymmv wrote:
fats provolone wrote:my favorite party is me (dw tempest rogue), sera (tempest archer), varric (artificer archer) (dem buffs), cassandra (all the taunt and guard shit)

I got sick of babysitting the dumbass suicidal Rogue AI and eventually started leaving them behind for the more challenging fights. My ultimate dragon killing team (without KEs) was me (Rift/Storm Mage) + full-support Solas + tank Cassandra + high-DPS Iron Bull.

lol yea sometimes its almost easier solo i just like the animations. have you seen the video of the dude that solos the highland ravager on nightmare w/ a single thousand cuts?

There's also one of a guy soloing the ravager in 14 seconds with hail of arrows + leaping shot spam.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ymmv wrote:Yeah, all dragons are immune to all debilitating effects. Most major quest bosses can't be weakened either.

That explains my slowed casting, because I'm not getting mana feedback from the veil talents.

Scooped 8)
ymmv wrote:Don't commit yourself to a Magi Circle, dude. The Templars are dicks and I guarantee you will wind up with a lyrium sword sticking outta your ass, if the blood magic doesn't get to you first.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:41 pm

ymmv wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Scooped 8)
ymmv wrote:Don't commit yourself to a Magi Circle, dude. The Templars are dicks and I guarantee you will wind up with a lyrium sword sticking outta your ass, if the blood magic doesn't get to you first.

Fuck. FUCK. You win, mang.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Get rekt high dragon

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at US firm in London right now, and I used to work at a Magic Circle. The following COLA information might be useful:

Freshfields: £25,000 (GBP)
Linklaters: $60,000
Cravath: $109,000
Latham: $100,000
Simpson: $66,000
Kirkland: $100,000

Out of the above, I would recommend Latham. They have one of the top reputations in the market, have a huge team (60+ US/JD lawyers, 200+ lawyers total in London) and bill less than Cravath and Kirkland. Also, if you work for a US firm over here, you will probably focus on high-yield debt work. High yield is especially grueling compared to other corporate work (most associates at US firms in London bill 2,200 hours to 3,000 hours (Cravath and Kirkland seriously have you billing near 3,000 hours) per year). If you go to a magic circle (except for Links), you will probably also get to do more equity and investment-grade debt deals. Your hours are also generally lower at magic circles (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently) and you can make a long-term career at those firms. Firms like Cravath, Latham and Kirkland will grind you up and spit you out after 2-3 years.

Thank you for this post. I heard, particularly, that Cravath's work life balance in London was just horrendously bad (like "Cravath NYC hours are a walk in the park compared to London" bad). Could you speak to Cravath's reputation in the London market? I know they do mostly high-yield debt work as you described. Would you describe this kind of work as just mind-numbingly brutal for a junior associate? Any positive remarks? Are there exit options for junior associates from CSM or are those mostly going to be stateside?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Cravath barely hires US fresh associates for their London office, compared to Simpson, Kirkland ect. who actually have programs for american JDs in the UK and recruit directly. the cost of living data is cool but I've never heard of that as a relevant choice (unless we're talking a few years down the line)

While CSM doesn't have a separate London-office recruitment effort they definitely solicit people to split their summers in the London office and start their first rotation in London immediately upon graduation (which, to me, sounds like a pretty sweet gig. I'll be moving away from a non-NYC city after law school anyways and the COLA will help with loans).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at US firm in London right now, and I used to work at a Magic Circle. The following COLA information might be useful:

Out of the above, I would recommend Latham. They have one of the top reputations in the market, have a huge team (60+ US/JD lawyers, 200+ lawyers total in London) and bill less than Cravath and Kirkland. Also, if you work for a US firm over here, you will probably focus on high-yield debt work. High yield is especially grueling compared to other corporate work (most associates at US firms in London bill 2,200 hours to 3,000 hours (Cravath and Kirkland seriously have you billing near 3,000 hours) per year). If you go to a magic circle (except for Links), you will probably also get to do more equity and investment-grade debt deals. Your hours are also generally lower at magic circles (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently) and you can make a long-term career at those firms. Firms like Cravath, Latham and Kirkland will grind you up and spit you out after 2-3 years.

Cravath barely hires US fresh associates for their London office, compared to Simpson, Kirkland ect. who actually have programs for american JDs in the UK and recruit directly. the cost of living data is cool but I've never heard of that as a relevant choice (unless we're talking a few years down the line)

Are these numbers new? I and my friends summered in London firms in 2013 and those numbers are way off compared to what we were told. For instance Kirkland was less than half of that. The highest I remember were Clifford Chance and Skadden which were both no where near the number you posted here. TBF I didn't know anyone who summered at Cravath, Simpson or Links but I just find it hard to believe they pay so much more than Kirkland and Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Cravath barely hires US fresh associates for their London office, compared to Simpson, Kirkland ect. who actually have programs for american JDs in the UK and recruit directly. the cost of living data is cool but I've never heard of that as a relevant choice (unless we're talking a few years down the line)

I posted the COLA data. Cravath has actually been doing a lot of hiring directly into their London office recently. I have two friends who just joined their team. Their London office is unique in that it hires laterals, while their NY office rarely does that.

The COLA data is very relevant. Most JDs come to London for just a few years, and if you can make an extra 60k per year, it's very influential in where you decide to go. That's the difference between making 200k and 260k as a first year!!!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Are these numbers new? I and my friends summered in London firms in 2013 and those numbers are way off compared to what we were told. For instance Kirkland was less than half of that. The highest I remember were Clifford Chance and Skadden which were both no where near the number you posted here. TBF I didn't know anyone who summered at Cravath, Simpson or Links but I just find it hard to believe they pay so much more than Kirkland and Skadden.

Yes, these are all current numbers. I was actively looking at the lateral market over the last few months and gathered these numbers from head hunters and associates at the firms. COLAs went up significantly during the last year. For example, Latham just increased their COLA over the summer. Cravath adjusts its COLA every few months depending on team morale (think about it).

The COLA that I quoted is for K&E's high-yield team (10+ associates). They have 4 or 5 additional JD associates that do general corporate work, and they do get a slightly lower COLA. The K&E high-yield team increased their COLA from 50k to 100k around August 2013 when the team threatened to quit (they were being worked to death!!).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for this post. I heard, particularly, that Cravath's work life balance in London was just horrendously bad (like "Cravath NYC hours are a walk in the park compared to London" bad). Could you speak to Cravath's reputation in the London market? I know they do mostly high-yield debt work as you described. Would you describe this kind of work as just mind-numbingly brutal for a junior associate? Any positive remarks? Are there exit options for junior associates from CSM or are those mostly going to be stateside?

I posted the London COLA info. Yes, Cravath has a horrible reputation for work/life balance. I have had 4 good friends who have worked on their team. Some have come from New York to do a rotation and some are there as direct hires into the London office. They do have a reputation of having worse hours than the NY office. In fact, they will pay a massive bonus to associates who survive a rotation in London just to thank them for doing it. High-yield work is very interesting for junior associates. You get a ton of responsibility (interacting directly with clients, closing deals solo as a first year, drafting substantial documents). It's just a LOT of work and stress (extremely tight deadlines, poorly staffed, etc.). I've heard that if you are hired directly into CSM's London office, you can't transfer to their NY office. It's an entirely different hiring process. However, if you are hired into the NY office, you can do a rotation in London and return back to NY. Exit options form CSM London would mostly be to in-house legal positions at banks/financial institutions doing high-yield or general capital markets work. As to CSM's reputation, they are the gold standard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What sort of magi are those in the circle? I recommend the one that is rift, as pull of the abyss really leads to some insane aoe chances. On top of that, the constant mana feedback means basically free casting with no cooldown. Necro is not that strong, ignore it. Knight enchanter is powerful, but boring.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

This is why I hate law students...this website in serious danger of having its G pass confiscated.

Anonymous User wrote: (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently).

You mean as American JDs doing equity work For MC worked these hours, not the British solicitors? If so my decision has been made.

Yes, JD holders worked those hours. For example, at the MC that I was at, average hours for the English departments (non-JD) ranged from 1,400-1,600. Some of the JD associates billed over 2,000, but they had that type of personality. It was very easy to float below the radar and bill under 2,000 as an American associate. But it also depends on the firm. For example, if you go to Linklaters to work on their high-yield team, you will only be doing high yield and end up billing mid-2,000s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I posted the London COLA info. Yes, Cravath has a horrible reputation for work/life balance. I have had 4 good friends who have worked on their team. Some have come from New York to do a rotation and some are there as direct hires into the London office. They do have a reputation of having worse hours than the NY office. In fact, they will pay a massive bonus to associates who survive a rotation in London just to thank them for doing it. High-yield work is very interesting for junior associates. You get a ton of responsibility (interacting directly with clients, closing deals solo as a first year, drafting substantial documents). It's just a LOT of work and stress (extremely tight deadlines, poorly staffed, etc.). I've heard that if you aThe re hired directly into CSM's London office, you can't transfer to their NY office. It's an entirely different hiring process. However, if you are hired into the NY office, you can do a rotation in London and return back to NY. Exit options form CSM London would mostly be to in-house legal positions at banks/financial institutions doing high-yield or general capital markets work. As to CSM's reputation, they are the gold standard.

Do you have any of this type of information for sullivan and cromwell? I'm particularly interested in what sort of non-cap markets work is available, like M&A.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 pm

What u guys all care about is money. Disgusting.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:56 am

so this has nothing to do with stonehenge or aleister crowley or anything cool?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:59 am

fats provolone wrote:this is just so beautiful though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_YgRec443E&t=0m53s

FYI: I started using static cage along with pull of the abyss and fire mine and the results are awesome.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As to CSM's reputation, they are the gold standard.

dude their london office has like 5 partners. gold standard for what? the US prestige hangups don't actually extend across the atlantic to that degree. no one cares that much about CSM in london because they don't have the staffing to support much work. fucking Jones Day is a way bigger deal in Europe than Cravath. I researched permanent london hiring, split summers, rotations, ect. a lot during recruiting at these firms and frankly it's just stupid to go to cravath to work in europe/uk. the "gold standard" in london if such a thing were to exist is slaughter & may. the gold standard anglo/US firms in europe are Cleary and freshfields.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:09 am

jbagelboy wrote:

dude their london office has like 5 partners. gold standard for what? the US prestige hangups don't actually extend across the atlantic to that degree. no one cares that much about CSM in london because they don't have the staffing to support much work. fucking Jones Day is a way bigger deal in Europe than Cravath. I researched permanent london hiring, split summers, rotations, ect. a lot during recruiting at these firms and frankly it's just stupid to go to cravath to work in europe/uk. the "gold standard" in london if such a thing were to exist is slaughter & may. the gold standard anglo/US firms in europe are Cleary and freshfields.

Gold standard for US high-yield debt offerings, which is what most US associates are doing in London. Cleary and the other Magic Circle don't come close to to Cravath, Latham, K&E and the other US firms when it comes to the high-yield market in London.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Gold standard for US high-yield debt offerings, which is what most US associates are doing in London. Cleary and the other Magic Circle don't come close to to Cravath, Latham, K&E and the other US firms when it comes to the high-yield market in London.

(cravath london associate desperately hoping that some of that V5 life sacrifice translates 'across the pond')

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Yes, these are all current numbers. I was actively looking at the lateral market over the last few months and gathered these numbers from head hunters and associates at the firms. COLAs went up significantly during the last year. For example, Latham just increased their COLA over the summer. Cravath adjusts its COLA every few months depending on team morale (think about it).

The COLA that I quoted is for K&E's high-yield team (10+ associates). They have 4 or 5 additional JD associates that do general corporate work, and they do get a slightly lower COLA. The K&E high-yield team increased their COLA from 50k to 100k around August 2013 when the team threatened to quit (they were being worked to death!!).

Do you have COLA numbers for S&C and Skadden?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:08 am

Do you have COLA numbers for S&C and Skadden?[/quote]

Sorry, I don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, I don't.

You seem very knowledgable about the high-yield debt work in London. What's life like as a midlevel there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 am

Mitterrand wrote: Do you have COLA numbers for S&C and Skadden?

In 2013 Skadden was 60K but apparently, if those numbers are correct, the market shifted mightily in the past year or so. Kirkland was half the number posted when I was interviewing with them. If I knew they were going to 100K I'd be living in London right now :P . I had offers from four firms in London and I had friends at 4 other London firms (MC and US) and the highest Cola was CC and Skadden at 60K. The low end was 40K. I will reiterate what someone earlier in the thread said, it may not be easy to get back across the pond especially from US firms. During the interview process with Skadden the hiring partner made it a point to mention that such a move would be difficult. The Magic Circle firms seemed more open to it though.

Return to “Legal Employment”