London Magi Circle Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

London Magi Circle

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 am

Am I allowed to think I'm more prestigious if I decide to work in the actual London HQ of Magic Circle which are top 5, instead of the NY outpost which are generally V50.

I'm a U.S. JD

I mean do the vault rankings even apply in this situation?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

postard

Bronze

Re: London Magi Circle

Post by postard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:28 pm

No you're not. Stop that right now.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:34 pm

The English basically invented prestige - ignore the poster above and live life knowing that you're better than the history-less commoners in the new world.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I allowed to think I'm more prestigious because I'm working in the actual London HQ of Magic Circle which are top 5, instead of the NY outpost which are generally V50.

I'm a U.S. JD

I mean do the vault rankings even apply in this situation?
Yes, you are allowed to think whatever you want.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Lol@ this jumped-up colonial. Just lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 pm

..... Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 pm

What are you asking? You do know different firms have different specialties right? What are your goals? What type of law do you want to practice? What is important to you as far as firm fit? Prestige differs depending on who you ask. Your question just sounds really stupid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I interned and got a return offer at a MC firm in London during my undergrad in England. I am now JD in US.

Generally shorter hours, but also less pay (£65k for first year associates). The culture is generally less competitive.

Not sure what the career path is for a US JD though. For English undergrad, it is undergrad law degree + half-one year legal practice course (fully sponsored by law firm) + two year paid training contract at firm (£40k first year, £45k second year) and then qualify to practice in england and become full associate.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Don't commit yourself to a Magi Circle, dude. The Templars are dicks and I guarantee you will wind up with a lyrium sword sticking outta your ass, if the blood magic doesn't get to you first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:03 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:What are you asking? You do know different firms have different specialties right? What are your goals? What type of law do you want to practice? What is important to you as far as firm fit? Prestige differs depending on who you ask. Your question just sounds really stupid.
RANKINGs!!!!!
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GI ... -GIF-5.gif

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interned and got a return offer at a MC firm in London during my undergrad in England. I am now JD in US.

Generally shorter hours, but also less pay (£65k for first year associates). The culture is generally less competitive.

Not sure what the career path is for a US JD though. For English undergrad, it is undergrad law degree + half-one year legal practice course (fully sponsored by law firm) + two year paid training contract at firm (£40k first year, £45k second year) and then qualify to practice in england and become full associate.
I will further say that English firms are probably more international-oriented because of the limited size of English market. But from my internship experiences at two MC firms, U.S. market is NOT what they are focusing on, because of the competitive nature of U.S. market. They are more interested in Middle East, East Asia, etc for future development.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Don't US JD's in London only do Capital Markets work too? Rotating through a US' international office in London with a cost of living adjustment is probably the best way to go. Less prestige, of course, but it's not like you were going to be hanging at at Wimbledon + drinking port at the Oxford & Cambridge club anyways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:15 pm

ymmv wrote:Don't commit yourself to a Magi Circle, dude. The Templars are dicks and I guarantee you will wind up with a lyrium sword sticking outta your ass, if the blood magic doesn't get to you first.
But I'm a mage bro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:17 pm

do magi circle firms give good gifts?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:21 pm

this kind of insufferable non-topic garbage should be lounged

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:38 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Don't US JD's in London only do Capital Markets work too? Rotating through a US' international office in London with a cost of living adjustment is probably the best way to go. Less prestige, of course, but it's not like you were going to be hanging at at Wimbledon + drinking port at the Oxford & Cambridge club anyways.
A lot of firms do capital markets but that is not the only thing US firms do. As for the guy quoting the 65K pounds salary, that is for English lawyers. US JDs make the equivalent of 160K plus a cost of living adjustment that varies by firm but is normally between 30-60K extra a year.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:this kind of insufferable non-topic garbage should be lounged
Correct. I have no idea why I'm actually trying to answer questions for the OP, this is clearly a flame.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Correct. I have no idea why I'm actually trying to answer questions for the OP, this is clearly a flame.
I'm actually only half flaming. I've looked around for London info on tls, but the topics don't really have to do with rankings or position of the main UK hq. Vault only ranks magic circle "us" which is fine, and name brand shouldnt matter but all being equal for the sake of resume power, exit options, low self esteem and need for external validation, etc. Id like to know how working for the "real" firm compares to their vault rankings of us branches.

This is also to make an informed decision because again, the atl reviews and vault buzz that give insight into firm culture only apply to the AmerIcan practice.

If anyone has any knowledge of how UK magic circle are ranked in comparison with each other, exit options for a JD doing capital markets in London vs from the same firms nyc office, how hard do london JDs work in capital markets compared to other London solicitors or nyc; it would be nice to know.

I would hope this can turn into a large thread of valuable info for anyone thinking magic circle London in particular, instead of big law London. The opening question is half serious to me but also meant to be tongue in cheek and get some traction on the topic.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
I'm actually only half flaming. I've looked around for London info on tls, but the topics don't really have to do with rankings or position of the main UK hq. Vault only ranks magic circle "us" which is fine, and name brand shouldnt matter but all being equal for the sake of resume power, exit options, low self esteem and need for external validation, etc. Id like to know how working for the "real" firm compares to their vault rankings of us branches.

This is also to make an informed decision because again, the atl reviews and vault buzz that give insight into firm culture only apply to the AmerIcan practice.

If anyone has any knowledge of how UK magic circle are ranked in comparison with each other, exit options for a JD doing capital markets in London vs from the same firms nyc office, how hard do london JDs work in capital markets compared to other London solicitors or nyc; it would be nice to know.

I would hope this can turn into a large thread of valuable info for anyone thinking magic circle London in particular, instead of big law London. The opening question is half serious to me but also meant to be tongue in cheek and get some traction on the topic.
yea, that's not what your OP asked, sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

yea, that's not what your OP asked, sorry.
No I'm sorry baby, I never wanted to disappoint you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If anyone has any knowledge of how UK magic circle are ranked in comparison with each other, exit options for a JD doing capital markets in London vs from the same firms nyc office, how hard do london JDs work in capital markets compared to other London solicitors or nyc; it would be nice to know.
I suppose I can bite on this.

slaughter and may is probably the most respected firm in the UK (and the most lucrative for partners), but they don't recruit much from U.S. law schools. Freshfields is the oldest, most profitable overall, and probably the most prestigious of the MC worldwide but not necessarily in the City. Allen & Overy follows Freshfields pretty closely, with Linklaters and clifford chance bringing up the rear. While Linklaters and clifford chance are larger firms than the other three and might have more international reach, there's a perception they are somewhat bloated and less "prestigious," especially CC, which is a more recent player and expanded rapidly over the past few decades. The U.S. offices of both these last two are also less selective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm

What determines if a firm is part of the "Magic Circle"? Does it fluctuate like the Vault rankings or is there a specific list of firms?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:42 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:What determines if a firm is part of the "Magic Circle"? Does it fluctuate like the Vault rankings or is there a specific list of firms?
there are five firms that have been in the magic circle for a while. they include the five I discussed in my previous post. its a far less fickle designation than US News or Vault

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Slaughters is largely a corporate firm, and does not like huge banking clients. They also pride themselves on Not having an international strategy. Think of wachtell.

All the others are full service international firms. Linklaters and Freshfields are stronger in corporate, and A&O and CC are stronger in banking and capital markets.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:47 pm

do they pay MARKET SLAUGHTERING bonuses?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”