London Magi Circle Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheColonel

New

Re: London Magi Circle

Post by TheColonel » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:this kind of insufferable non-topic garbage should be lounged
Correct. I have no idea why I'm actually trying to answer questions for the OP, this is clearly a flame.
I'm actually only half flaming. I've looked around for London info on tls, but the topics don't really have to do with rankings or position of the main UK hq. Vault only ranks magic circle "us" which is fine, and name brand shouldnt matter but all being equal for the sake of resume power, exit options, low self esteem and need for external validation, etc. Id like to know how working for the "real" firm compares to their vault rankings of us branches.

This is also to make an informed decision because again, the atl reviews and vault buzz that give insight into firm culture only apply to the AmerIcan practice.

If anyone has any knowledge of how UK magic circle are ranked in comparison with each other, exit options for a JD doing capital markets in London vs from the same firms nyc office, how hard do london JDs work in capital markets compared to other London solicitors or nyc; it would be nice to know.

I would hope this can turn into a large thread of valuable info for anyone thinking magic circle London in particular, instead of big law London. The opening question is half serious to me but also meant to be tongue in cheek and get some traction on the topic.
This may be helpful: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/uk/1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:23 pm

fats provolone wrote:do they pay MARKET SLAUGHTERING bonuses?
Aha in this respect, unlike Wachtell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:29 pm

TheColonel wrote:
This may be helpful: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/guide/uk/1
Indeed, great, thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm at US firm in London right now, and I used to work at a Magic Circle. The following COLA information might be useful:

Freshfields: £25,000 (GBP)
Linklaters: $60,000
Cravath: $109,000
Latham: $100,000
Simpson: $66,000
Kirkland: $100,000

Out of the above, I would recommend Latham. They have one of the top reputations in the market, have a huge team (60+ US/JD lawyers, 200+ lawyers total in London) and bill less than Cravath and Kirkland. Also, if you work for a US firm over here, you will probably focus on high-yield debt work. High yield is especially grueling compared to other corporate work (most associates at US firms in London bill 2,200 hours to 3,000 hours (Cravath and Kirkland seriously have you billing near 3,000 hours) per year). If you go to a magic circle (except for Links), you will probably also get to do more equity and investment-grade debt deals. Your hours are also generally lower at magic circles (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently) and you can make a long-term career at those firms. Firms like Cravath, Latham and Kirkland will grind you up and spit you out after 2-3 years.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at US firm in London right now, and I used to work at a Magic Circle. The following COLA information might be useful:

Freshfields: £25,000 (GBP)
Linklaters: $60,000
Cravath: $109,000
Latham: $100,000
Simpson: $66,000
Kirkland: $100,000

Out of the above, I would recommend Latham. They have one of the top reputations in the market, have a huge team (60+ US/JD lawyers, 200+ lawyers total in London) and bill less than Cravath and Kirkland. Also, if you work for a US firm over here, you will probably focus on high-yield debt work. High yield is especially grueling compared to other corporate work (most associates at US firms in London bill 2,200 hours to 3,000 hours (Cravath and Kirkland seriously have you billing near 3,000 hours) per year). If you go to a magic circle (except for Links), you will probably also get to do more equity and investment-grade debt deals. Your hours are also generally lower at magic circles (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently) and you can make a long-term career at those firms. Firms like Cravath, Latham and Kirkland will grind you up and spit you out after 2-3 years.
Cravath barely hires US fresh associates for their London office, compared to Simpson, Kirkland ect. who actually have programs for american JDs in the UK and recruit directly. the cost of living data is cool but I've never heard of that as a relevant choice (unless we're talking a few years down the line)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Slaughter & May is the hengeler mueller of England which is the Wachtell of Germany.

PRESTIGGEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:38 pm

What sort of magi are those in the circle? I recommend the one that is rift, as pull of the abyss really leads to some insane aoe chances. On top of that, the constant mana feedback means basically free casting with no cooldown. Necro is not that strong, ignore it. Knight enchanter is powerful, but boring.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:What sort of magi are those in the circle? I recommend the one that is rift, as pull of the abyss really leads to some insane aoe chances. On top of that, the constant mana feedback means basically free casting with no cooldown. Necro is not that strong, ignore it. Knight enchanter is powerful, but boring.

This is why I hate law students...this website in serious danger of having its G pass confiscated.

Anonymous User wrote: (many colleagues did 1,600 - 1,800 hours per year for 6-7 years consistently).
You mean as American JDs doing equity work For MC worked these hours, not the British solicitors? If so my decision has been made.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bjsesq wrote:What sort of magi are those in the circle? I recommend the one that is rift, as pull of the abyss really leads to some insane aoe chances. On top of that, the constant mana feedback means basically free casting with no cooldown. Necro is not that strong, ignore it. Knight enchanter is powerful, but boring.

This is why I hate law students...this website in serious danger of having its G pass confiscated.
I'm not a law student, genius. And this thread started sucking with the op.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Joke thread deserves joke answers.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:19 pm

"G pass"?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm

And fuck you, dude. Rift mages are awesome.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:And fuck you, dude. Rift mages are awesome.
ya pull of the abyss + double aoe dagger is the shit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:22 pm

fats provolone wrote:
ya pull of the abyss + double aoe dagger is the shit
And hail of arrows. Shit is ridiculous.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:22 pm

No contest. I played Knight Enchanter for like 2 hours before reloading and making the right decision.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm

ymmv wrote:
No contest. I played Knight Enchanter for like 2 hours before reloading and making the right decision.
I don't get how people have fun with KE. Spirit blade is so retardedly OP that it makes playing it no fun.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not a law student, genius. And this thread started sucking with the op.
Well I can't argue with you there

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:24 pm

i usually run mageless to up the difficulty but every once in a while i bring solas out for that sweet sweet rift action

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 pm

fats provolone wrote:i usually run mageless to up the difficulty but every once in a while i bring solas out for that sweet sweet rift action
With me as rift and him as rift, there is basically always a pull of the abyss going on. It's awesome.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:26 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ymmv wrote:
I don't get how people have fun with KE. Spirit blade is so retardedly OP that it makes playing it no fun.
Against mobs I'd argue Rift Mage is even more OP, but at least it has variety and all sorts of awesome spell synergy. KE basically reduces the game to a shitty 90s brawler with god mode enabled. My one complaint with Rift is its near uselessness against bosses, but at least it ensures a genuine challenge from time to time rather than just wailing on the B button until everything is dead.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:27 pm

my favorite party is me (dw tempest rogue), sera (tempest archer), varric (artificer archer) (dem buffs), cassandra (all the taunt and guard shit)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:30 pm

ymmv wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
ymmv wrote:
Against mobs I'd argue Rift Mage is even more OP, but at least it has variety and all sorts of awesome spell synergy. KE basically reduces the game to a shitty 90s brawler with god mode enabled. My one complaint with Rift is its near uselessness against bosses, but at least it ensures a genuine challenge from time to time rather than just wailing on the B button until everything is dead.
Are the dragons immune to weakness? I don't think they are. Giants are, though.
fats provolone wrote:my favorite party is me (dw tempest rogue), sera (tempest archer), varric (artificer archer) (dem buffs), cassandra (all the taunt and guard shit)
Blackwall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cassandra, imo. I have Varric as artificer archer and me and solas as mages, both rift, with him focused on Spirit to control damage and me focused on pyromancer to god mode off the shield damage.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:31 pm

fats provolone wrote:my favorite party is me (dw tempest rogue), sera (tempest archer), varric (artificer archer) (dem buffs), cassandra (all the taunt and guard shit)
I got sick of babysitting the dumbass suicidal Rogue AI and eventually started leaving them behind for the more challenging fights. My ultimate dragon killing team (without KEs) was me (Rift/Storm Mage) + full-support Solas + tank Cassandra + high-DPS Iron Bull.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:32 pm

i actually haven't played w/ blackwall at all. i like cassandra's chatter. but i will try him out.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ymmv wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
ymmv wrote:
Are the dragons immune to weakness? I don't think they are. Giants are, though.
Yeah, all dragons are immune to all debilitating effects. Most major quest bosses can't be weakened either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”