Small market summer positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small market summer positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Hey all, lurker and first time poster here. Seeking some advice on applying to smaller firms in and around my hometown (think central/southern IL) for my 1L summer. Getting straight to the point, should i be emailing just about any firm in my geographic area and asking them whether they take SA's? or should i just mass mail these firms with resumes and cover letters? What is the typical procedure for non big/mid law firms? Thanks in advance.

thechinaman12

Re: Small market summer positions

Postby thechinaman12 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Same as usual. Cover letter as the body of the email with a Resume + transcript pdf file (only include writing sample if you seem them request it on their website somewhere)

Jay2716

Re: Small market summer positions

Postby Jay2716 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:03 pm

thechinaman12 wrote:Same as usual. Cover letter as the body of the email with a Resume + transcript pdf file (only include writing sample if you seem them request it on their website somewhere)

And I would get on it. I don't know how small you're looking, but I know most of the mid size firms in central and southern Illinois, the ones with formal summer programs, started their hiring months ago. These have all been firms with 10+ attorneys, so if you're looking for smaller than that they are probably just starting to look, but you need to get going.

If you mean truly small, as in <10, almost everyone I know who got those positions networked into them. I think networking is a far more productive use of your time for small firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”