Biglaw Salaries going up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Salaries going up?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:57 am

My firm has acknowledged the dropping law school enrollment numbers and believes that it will be harder to recruit and retain attorneys in about 3 years from now. Currently? Not a chance.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm has acknowledged the dropping law school enrollment numbers and believes that it will be harder to recruit and retain attorneys

!!!!

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm

acknowledged!

911 crisis actor

Postby 911 crisis actor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Heard that a member of W&C's Compensation Committee was posting on this forum. W&C partner, if you're reading this, can you weigh in?

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 pm

fats provolone wrote:acknowledged!

*shits self*

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:36 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:Heard that a member of W&C's Compensation Committee was posting on this forum. W&C partner, if you're reading this, can you weigh in?

Not a partner but read someone on this forum asking for one. What would you like me to comment on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Got a source confirming DLA Piper will be raising salaries to 190k* sometime in the next few days.

*pesos, in their Mexico City office.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:58 pm

At the very least the salaries should increase annually w/ inflation...

EDIT: Monthly

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:03 pm

this will never happen

dont go into law for the $$$

if u wanna be rich and are a gunner (why else would you be in this forum), triple UG in like finance/econ/some foreign language, then go straight to IB...try to stick it out there as long as you can (try not to waste $$ on b-school, but if they push you out and you dont have any other ops, then whatever) and then try to jump into a research role at a big HF...dont fuck up and you'll be a millionaire by the time you're in your mid-30s

HTFH

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:if u wanna be rich and are a gunner (why else would you be in this forum), triple UG in like finance/econ/some foreign language, then go straight to IB...try to stick it out there as long as you can (try not to waste $$ on b-school, but if they push you out and you dont have any other ops, then whatever) and then try to jump into a research role at a big HF...dont fuck up and you'll be a millionaire by the time you're in your mid-30s

ok lemme just get into my time machine and go do that. OH WAIT THAT TECHNOLOGY DOESNT EXIST YET

#occupymidtown

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:this will never happen

if u wanna be rich and are a gunner (why else would you be in this forum), triple UG in like finance/econ/some foreign language, then go straight to IB...try to stick it out there as long as you can (try not to waste $$ on b-school, but if they push you out and you dont have any other ops, then whatever) and then try to jump into a research role at a big HF...dont fuck up and you'll be a millionaire by the time you're in your mid-30s

HTFH

IMO it's harder to break into prestigious i-banking mainly because a lot it will be based on what undergrad you get into and having a realistic shot at i-banking without top undergrad b-school is hard. The reason I say it's harder is because a lot of people are dipshits in HS, not realizing they are ruining chances of getting into top schools like Wharton etc. etc. where getting into top Ibanks is actually realistic.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 pm

zugzwanger wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:this will never happen

HTFH

IMO it's harder to break into prestigious i-banking mainly because a lot it will be based on what undergrad you get into and having a realistic shot at i-banking without top undergrad b-school is hard. The reason I say it's harder is because a lot of people are dipshits in HS, not realizing they are ruining chances of getting into top schools like Wharton etc. etc. where getting into top Ibanks is actually realistic.

NYC TO 190!!!!!!

fixed this for you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 pm

the shareholders at my firm don't want to share their holdings, even though they hold shares that should be shared with non-shareholders who do their fair share of the work and are left holding the bag. sharing is caring. eric holder sucks.

please don't quote, shareholders read this forum

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the shareholders at my firm don't want to share their holdings, even though they hold shares that should be shared with non-shareholders who do their fair share of the work and are left holding the bag. sharing is caring. eric holder sucks.

please don't quote, shareholders read this forum

god I love you fatduck

if this isn't fatduck I hate you and I still love fatduck

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:43 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:if u wanna be rich and are a gunner (why else would you be in this forum), triple UG in like finance/econ/some foreign language, then go straight to IB...try to stick it out there as long as you can (try not to waste $$ on b-school, but if they push you out and you dont have any other ops, then whatever) and then try to jump into a research role at a big HF...dont fuck up and you'll be a millionaire by the time you're in your mid-30s

ok lemme just get into my time machine and go do that. OH WAIT THAT TECHNOLOGY DOESNT EXIST YET

#occupymidtown

ya we fucked up

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:My firm has acknowledged the dropping law school enrollment numbers and believes that it will be harder to recruit and retain attorneys in about 3 years from now. Currently? Not a chance.

T14 hasn't declined that much. Won't be an issue IMO. C/O 2008-2011 will always suffer from a gaping hole caused by the 09 repression.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but when we (imminently) get to 190, what comes next? NY to 220?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:50 pm

Yukos wrote:Not to get ahead of ourselves, but when we (imminently) get to 190, what comes next? NY to 220?

50% of base salary bone us

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:18 am

So there is basically no solid evidence. How loud is the chatter, though?

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 am

thelawyler wrote:So there is basically no solid evidence. How loud is the chatter, though?

Cautiously deafening

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:24 am

thelawyler wrote:So there is basically no solid evidence. How loud is the chatter, though?

Have you ever listened to John Cage's 4'33"? I would guess that the chatter is approximately as loud as the brass section in that piece

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 am

Can you speak up, please?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

What...the chatter in this thread isn't loud enough for you? What more do you want from us? Fucking law students.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm

My friend says that her boyfriends sister, who recently made partner at an INDUSTRY LEADER, says salaries are set to rise commensurate with the recent banking salary rise

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:07 pm

confirmed by my hair stylist who also cuts the hair of several people who may be biglaw partners

Return to “Legal Employment”