Biglaw Salaries going up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cookiejar1

Silver

Re: Biglaw Salaries going up?

Post by cookiejar1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: In my opinion, associate compensation will rise. It's just a matter of how soon, and which firms will be able to afford to match the first-movers.
NYC TO 190K IN 2016

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
masque du pantsu wrote:I've long been skeptical, but i'm starting to think people might be on to something, maybe even within the next few years. See below:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -this-year

Whether or not you agree with the article's recommendations, check out the numbers for point #3: at some point the big law firms will face (or feel that they are facing) a talent crunch.
Who the hell chooses a bar chart with a 120-160 scale to show average LSAT scores through time?
lol. That chart is absurdly uninformative in its presentation

capsfan

New

Post by capsfan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Is it really true that there's no challenge in keeping Mid-Levels? It seems to me that when you compare the DPW bonus scale to the initial STB scale that Mid-Levels are exactly where the challenge is for firms. The costs of beating STB for first year bonuses would have been minimal for DPW, but DPW chose to focus on increasing mid-level comp. Maybe this purely a lateral competition issue and not really a concern about losing people to in-house.

I'm surprised that no one else (at least that I noticed) has predicted that we might see 3rd year and associate salaries go up with no real change in 1st year salaries, or perhaps an almost nominal bump of 5k. This is relatively blind speculation but seems reasonable based on what we saw with bonuses.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 pm

capsfan wrote:Is it really true that there's no challenge in keeping Mid-Levels? It seems to me that when you compare the DPW bonus scale to the initial STB scale that Mid-Levels are exactly where the challenge is for firms. The costs of beating STB for first year bonuses would have been minimal for DPW, but DPW chose to focus on increasing mid-level comp. Maybe this purely a lateral competition issue and not really a concern about losing people to in-house.

I'm surprised that no one else (at least that I noticed) has predicted that we might see 3rd year and associate salaries go up with no real change in 1st year salaries, or perhaps an almost nominal bump of 5k. This is relatively blind speculation but seems reasonable based on what we saw with bonuses.
midlevel here

salaries ain't going up

maybe bonuses, but not salaries

salary expansion was an early 2000s arms race that'll never happen again

now competing for talent with bonuses, that's a more plausible and practical scenario for firms, since they can make adjustments up or down each year based upon the market, their peers, their performance, etc

0Ls, erase from your mind the poss of across the board salary increases

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm

would be cool to chart avg billables per year to salary. per hour pay for big lawyers going down?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:would be cool to chart avg billables per year to salary. per hour pay for big lawyers going down?
always going down

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote: midlevel here

salaries ain't going up

NYC FIRST YEAR BONUSES TO 30K!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:12 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote: midlevel here

salaries ain't going up

NYC FIRST YEAR BONUSES TO 30K!
i could see this

but more likely that midlevels/seniors see a greater % bump

oh, to have been a part of the boom days in mid 2000s :-(

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
capsfan wrote:Is it really true that there's no challenge in keeping Mid-Levels? It seems to me that when you compare the DPW bonus scale to the initial STB scale that Mid-Levels are exactly where the challenge is for firms. The costs of beating STB for first year bonuses would have been minimal for DPW, but DPW chose to focus on increasing mid-level comp. Maybe this purely a lateral competition issue and not really a concern about losing people to in-house.

midlevel here

salaries ain't going up

now competing for talent with bonuses, that's a more plausible and practical scenario for firms, since they can make adjustments up or down each year based upon the market, their peers, their performance, etc

I mean.. salaries will go up, because that's what salaries do over time. Whether salary increases will fail to keep up with inflation / economic growth is an argument we can have. Right now, associate salaries are not keeping up with inflation / economic growth. Whether they ever keep up again is an argument we can have. But, assuming the economy continues to grow, salaries will go up from their nominal level. Just a matter of when. 8 years is a long time without a bump. It could be another 8 years, though that seems unreasonable.

Edit: By salary, I mean compensation. You are right that increases might come in the form of bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Less firms pay market in DC than they did 5 years ago. That should be telling.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:49 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Less firms pay market in DC than they did 5 years ago. That should be telling.
including boneus or just salary? which firms dropped belo0w 160
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:49 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Less firms pay market in DC than they did 5 years ago. That should be telling.
Less firms, or a lesser % of firms? It's my understanding that the reduction in the percentage of firms paying market in secondary markets is a product of smaller firms getting bigger rather than the market-paying firms reducing salary.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

PPP putting downward wage pressure on associate comp

seems legit?

ir8 @ boomers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
including boneus or just salary? which firms dropped belo0w 160
http://abovethelaw.com/2014/10/ny-to-19 ... -the-norm/

whatever this scribbling says.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
Less firms, or a lesser % of firms? It's my understanding that the reduction in the percentage of firms paying market in secondary markets is a product of smaller firms getting bigger rather than the market-paying firms reducing salary.
TITCR. No one reduced salaries; shitfirms just grew. The lower percentage of 251+ firms paying market doesn't mean any firm that previously paid market now isn't, it means that the size of a firm is no longer as good an indicator of who's paying market as it once was.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Also, never forget that in 2000, juniors made $165k total comp when law school tuition was $25k and NYC studios were $1k/month. That's $225k in today's dollars. Juniors will NEVER make that again.

It gets worse the further down the line you go. Partners are shattering profitability records. Senior associates are now doing better than every year before with the exception of 2007. Midlevels aren't breaking records but are doing above-average relative to the past 15 years.

And juniors? In terms of real compensation, the past two years were THE two worst of the previous 15. Real compensation dropped over 20% for first years from 2000 as average student loan debt (which affects juniors disproportionately) doubled.

We're getting to the point where law school is a bad financial decision even for those who would have a near-assured chance of getting Biglaw. And law school enrollment, especially among the high performers, will continue to drop until something gets fixed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Also, never forget that in 2000, juniors made $165k total comp when law school tuition was $25k and NYC studios were $1k/month. That's $225k in today's dollars. Juniors will NEVER make that again.

It gets worse the further down the line you go. Partners are shattering profitability records. Senior associates are now doing better than every year before with the exception of 2007. Midlevels aren't breaking records but are doing above-average relative to the past 15 years.

And juniors? In terms of real compensation, the past two years were THE two worst of the previous 15. Real compensation dropped over 20% for first years from 2000 as average student loan debt (which affects juniors disproportionately) doubled.

We're getting to the point where law school is a bad financial decision even for those who would have a near-assured chance of getting Biglaw. And law school enrollment, especially among the high performers, will continue to drop until something gets fixed.
Does this potentially indicate that it makes sense to start as a junior in non-NY and then attempt to lateral into NY as a 2nd/3rd year? Put in 2-4 years in NY then leave again assuming partnership isn't in the cards?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Also, never forget that in 2000, juniors made $165k total comp when law school tuition was $25k and NYC studios were $1k/month. That's $225k in today's dollars. Juniors will NEVER make that again.

Does this potentially indicate that it makes sense to start as a junior in non-NY and then attempt to lateral into NY as a 2nd/3rd year? Put in 2-4 years in NY then leave again assuming partnership isn't in the cards?
I don't know why someone would ever bother with NYC if they didn't have to. If you can get non-NYC Biglaw, just stick with that.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

I don't know why someone would ever bother with NYC if they didn't have to. If you can get non-NYC Biglaw, just stick with that.
Ya, agree. for people with other options besides law, I wouldn't get into law. For those with other options besides NYC, I wouldn't do NYC.

ArealMitch

New

Post by ArealMitch » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:16 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

midlevel here

salaries ain't going up

I mean.. salaries will go up, because that's what salaries do over time. Whether salary increases will fail to keep up with inflation / economic growth is an argument we can have. Right now, associate salaries are not keeping up with inflation / economic growth. Whether they ever keep up again is an argument we can have. But, assuming the economy continues to grow, salaries will go up from their nominal level. Just a matter of when. 8 years is a long time without a bump. It could be another 8 years, though that seems unreasonable.

Edit: By salary, I mean compensation. You are right that increases might come in the form of bonuses.
Right. It's pretty much like a physical truth that salaries will rise eventually. It's a question of when. To say the salary will never increase again is obviously absurd, but if it will happen in any time frame where it warrants discussion or thinking about is another question. Like the sun going out.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:25 pm

"Salaries will continue to go down in real dollars until morale improves." -Boomer managing partner

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Salaries are never going to go up simultaneously across all biglaw firms like they did during the 2000s. From now on, I think the tippy top firms are going to continue distinguishing themselves more and more from the rest of biglaw when it comes to total comp. There will be a sliding scale of salary increases (or lack thereof) with the crappier firms giving only very small or non-existent salary increases.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Every time this thread gets bumped I think it's because NYC to 190K has finally been confirmed for reals

But then I click on it and it's just another Mono post

:cry:

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:34 pm

I don't really care about salaries I just don't want the economy to tank in the next 2-3 years.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped I think it's because NYC to 190K has finally been confirmed for reals

But then I click on it and it's just another Mono post

:cry:
we're just preparing you law students for the law firm world. anticipations are never satisfied - there are only lesser degrees of failing to live up to the hype.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”