Dallas/Fort Worth Area DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lnh819

Dallas/Fort Worth Area DA Offices

Postby lnh819 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm a current 2L who wants to work at a DA office in the DFW area after graduation. Obviously, this means I should find an internship at one of those offices for the upcoming summer. Does anybody have any advice/knowledge about getting one of these internships or what county would be most likely to hire a former intern? I have Tarrant, Collin, Parker, Denton, and Dallas on my list of counties to apply to - already sent stuff to Tarrant County and will probably have the rest done by the end of the month.

I've also applied to Lubbock County, where I currently live and have a lease, since it would be much easier just to stay here for the summer. However, I'm guessing that when I apply for actual jobs after graduation, a DA office would favor someone who interned at THEIR office rather than A DA office. Am I correct in that assumption and right to try to work over in Dallas/Fort Worth this summer?

Anonymous User

Re: Dallas/Fort Worth Area DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm

lnh819 wrote:I'm a current 2L who wants to work at a DA office in the DFW area after graduation. Obviously, this means I should find an internship at one of those offices for the upcoming summer. Does anybody have any advice/knowledge about getting one of these internships or what county would be most likely to hire a former intern? I have Tarrant, Collin, Parker, Denton, and Dallas on my list of counties to apply to - already sent stuff to Tarrant County and will probably have the rest done by the end of the month.

I've also applied to Lubbock County, where I currently live and have a lease, since it would be much easier just to stay here for the summer. However, I'm guessing that when I apply for actual jobs after graduation, a DA office would favor someone who interned at THEIR office rather than A DA office. Am I correct in that assumption and right to try to work over in Dallas/Fort Worth this summer?

Well, it always helps to know people in the office where you want to work. As such, yes, try to work in DFW for the summer if that is where you want to land. I had a buddy who interned at Collin County and got a job there after law school. That court house is insanely nice! Also, pays about $60,000 per year.

Anonymous User

Re: Dallas/Fort Worth Area DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 pm

lnh819 wrote:I'm a current 2L who wants to work at a DA office in the DFW area after graduation. Obviously, this means I should find an internship at one of those offices for the upcoming summer. Does anybody have any advice/knowledge about getting one of these internships or what county would be most likely to hire a former intern? I have Tarrant, Collin, Parker, Denton, and Dallas on my list of counties to apply to - already sent stuff to Tarrant County and will probably have the rest done by the end of the month.

A good friend of mine interned as a 2L at Dallas County and they weren't allowed to speak on the record/get a bar card. It does look like they hire solely from interns/post-bar interns though. If I were you, I'd try to get in a smaller surrounding office where you could get some courtroom experience. Depending on how that goes, you could apply to be a post-bar at Dallas County proper. I wouldn't spend my 2L summer somewhere I couldn't get on the record though.

Return to “Legal Employment”