Summer between 3L and Clerking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer between 3L and Clerking

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 am

Going through firm websites this summer, saw a few firms this summer mention that they also hire summers between 3L and clerking. Does anyone know how common this is? Or if anyone has done it (or had people in their summer class doing it), know if that's just for people definitely switching firms, or acceptable to do if you want to try something different (say, a firm with a different practice strength or in a different city)?

Anonymous User

Re: Summer between 3L and Clerking

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

Yep. When you've worked at a firm 2L summer, it's not uncommon to see that firm pay you while you essentially study for the bar full-time, assuming you've accepted their offer to return after your clerkship.

It's much more difficult to get if you haven't summered there because they don't know you, and you aren't sure that you'll want to return after your clerkship.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm operating under the assumption you're taking the Bar this summer. If so, don't summer and try studying for the Bar. I know people who did this (granted, they passed), but they were miserable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:35 pm

I returned to the firm I summered at my 2L summer for a month during my 3L summer. I also took--and passed--the bar. My only regret is that I didn't spend more time at the firm. I easily could have spent six weeks--maybe even 7--at the firm my 3L summer and still passed the bar.

Then again, the firm was pretty laid back about it and, obviously, I already knew that I had an offer to return, so I had little incentive to gun for assignments.

Return to “Legal Employment”