Spring externship worth it w/o summer employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OutoftheWoods

Spring externship worth it w/o summer employment?

Postby OutoftheWoods » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm debating whether to apply for spring semester externships (some have been recently posted on my symplicity). Initially I had wanted to, because i know the practical experience is good, but I'm not sure if it's too risky since I dont have summer employment yet. That's going to be my main goal as it has been throughout my 2L year. While it's easy to put classes on the backburner, I'm afraid dealing with real work in an externship is going to be too much. Yet, the externship also brings the possibility of summer employment (note these are in-house jobs, not firm externships, however). any advice?

Kratos

Re: Spring externship worth it w/o summer employment?

Postby Kratos » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:54 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:I'm debating whether to apply for spring semester externships (some have been recently posted on my symplicity). Initially I had wanted to, because i know the practical experience is good, but I'm not sure if it's too risky since I dont have summer employment yet. That's going to be my main goal as it has been throughout my 2L year. While it's easy to put classes on the backburner, I'm afraid dealing with real work in an externship is going to be too much. Yet, the externship also brings the possibility of summer employment (note these are in-house jobs, not firm externships, however). any advice?

can you get credit for doing an externship? personally I would do it regardless. Not sure how you not having a job this summer yet makes it more or less risky. You should take the externship and still apply for summer jobs, imo.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:37 pm

maybe risky wasn't the right word. i'm just saying i don't know if it's really worth it when it will take time away from applying to jobs. i easily was able to not go to class for interviews and skip on readings to write cover letters, but this would be harder with an externship to do 20 hours a week or whatever. i can get credit but id rather get paid at this point.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:49 pm

I did 20 hours a week for 3 credits my last semester of law school. I really liked what I was doing, but it was a time crunch.* It could get rough if you have journal shit.

That said, an externship is a million times more valuable than any classes. The way I see it, a paid position could only help you find something else. It's both a learning experience and a credentialing thing. One employer hiring shows other employers you must have some value. Just set your interviews for days you have class if you can help it. If you can, tell your employer you'll need off. It's not a secret that you're looking for something permanent.

* I guess it was a time crunch. It really wouldn't have been that bad if I didn't take weekend trips and go out so much, but I probably wouldn't have read anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”