visiting student in order to get a job or is it too risky?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

visiting student in order to get a job or is it too risky?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 pm

aight, so I'm a 2L, and have just been offered a job during the year at a boutique firm across the country by the guy whose name is on the sign. He wants me to be a visiting student for a semester near his office next year, work at the firm, and says that he typically hires these externs. I have a job with a NY DA office this summer and will be going. My law school is not near NY, and I do not care about staying near my law school, which is a T25 and somewhat regional. I've been planning on gunning for prosecution and getting a job doing that, although I wanted to end up doing something along the lines of what this guy's firm does now. I also had a DA gig after my first year. This guy's firm has really high profile clients, and he picks and chooses the cases he wants, from criminal defense to business lit and he does a lot of federal work.

My question is, am I shooting myself in the foot with DAs offices by doing this for a single semester (thinking the fall)? Everything else I've done screams prosecution. I do not want to throw all my eggs in one basket but his firm is legit and would basically be a dream job if I got it.

Return to “Legal Employment”