DA vs. AG for 1L Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DA vs. AG for 1L Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi guys,

I'm interested in prosecution, just wondering which office would be better for the initial learning experience, the criminal division of the AG office or the DA's office? Thanks

adonai

Re: DA vs. AG for 1L Internship

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

I'm interested in prosecution, just wondering which office would be better for the initial learning experience, the criminal division of the AG office or the DA's office? Thanks

DAs would probably be more practical since you'll be learning at the trial level. But in terms of actual work you'd do, the AG would probably be more substantive. As a 1L at a DAs office you'd be doing a lot of hybrid administrative/legal work (proofreading, transcribing calls, copying, making trial binders)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 pm

OP here, thanks for your response. Anyone know how DA/AG offices notify about internship offers, do they call, email, letter?

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

If you want to be a state-level prosecutor, I'd work at the DA's office.

Every office is probably going to have different ways of notifying applicants.

Edited to add: adonai has a good point that as a 1L, you wouldn't be able to speak in court at the DA's office. I'd ask about the kind of work you would be assigned at each office.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:22 am

akili wrote:.

Edited to add: adonai has a good point that as a 1L, you wouldn't be able to speak in court at the DA's office. I'd ask about the kind of work you would be assigned at each office.

definitely ask. At my office while we couldn't speak in court, I got to do a ton of research and other stuff -- not the most glamorous stuff but i wasn't proofreading and answering phones so... Offices clearly differ!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:05 am

OP again. Thanks for your input everyone! Definitely going to ask some detailed questions regarding what the work for 1Ls entails. Is it TLS appropriate to request information over PM for the hiring process of a specific office?

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Thanks for your input everyone! Definitely going to ask some detailed questions regarding what the work for 1Ls entails. Is it TLS appropriate to request information over PM for the hiring process of a specific office?

If it is a socal office, I might be able to help and you can pm me

Return to “Legal Employment”