T14 2Ls still without a job for the summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 2Ls still without a job for the summer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Any other members of this club? What is your game plan for finding something this semester?

Anonymous User

Re: T14 2Ls still without a job for the summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:02 pm

I can't be the only one in this illustrious club...

Gotta love when professors do the 'introduce yourself, what firm are you working at this summer' spiel to start off the semester. Good to start off the semester with some public shaming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't be the only one in this illustrious club...

Gotta love when professors do the 'introduce yourself, what firm are you working at this summer' spiel to start off the semester. Good to start off the semester with some public shaming.

Seriously...I hate this. How can they be so oblivious/insensitive?

Anyway, no idea what the game plan is. I hustled last semester for the job search and my grades suffered because of it. It blows. It's sort of like the "rich get richer" phenomenon. People who struck out (like me) had callbacks and had to write cover letters well into Nov./Dec., and our grades suffered. Focusing more on grades this time around I guess.

I really don't know what happens to people like us but I do hear hiring is picking up. Hopefully few of us will be able to snag a firm job before the summer begins while the rest of us figure out the next best alternative.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

+1, same boat, don't know if this is the time to expect to lock something up, or if, because we're not on a biglaw timeline, more will be available closer to the summer.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:18 pm

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of law professors are gigantic assholes.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow surprised that they do that.

Thedude1342

Postby Thedude1342 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 pm

I too am a 2L at a t14 school without a job for the summer. The career services office at my school said that if we didn't get employed out of OCI, than we're best forgetting about big, medium, or even small firms and to just focus on getting an unpaid internship. They also said it's best to remain geographically flexible. My honest impression is that my schools career services office has absolutely no idea what to do with students who didn't get a job through oci.

I got straight A's my 1L year, transferred to a t14 school, but had absolutely no luck in OCI's. I too had to spend almost all of last semester sending off resumes and networking and trying to adjust to a new school and as a result my grades definitely suffered. Still I have no offers. It was also hard to be motivated to get good grades when they didn't mean a damn thing to anyone that saw them.

I'm pretty sure this is a "not what you know, but who you know" market. But I can definitely relate to being in rooms full of people with jobs when I have nothing.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 am

forgetting small firms is just wrong. a lot dont hire until march/april even.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:59 am

2L transfer now at T14. I got shut out of OCI, ended up with something at a small firm. Hoping my chances of big law come 3L aren't completely out of the picture.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Thedude1342 wrote:I too am a 2L at a t14 school without a job for the summer. The career services office at my school said that if we didn't get employed out of OCI, than we're best forgetting about big, medium, or even small firms and to just focus on getting an unpaid internship. They also said it's best to remain geographically flexible. My honest impression is that my schools career services office has absolutely no idea what to do with students who didn't get a job through oci.

I got straight A's my 1L year, transferred to a t14 school, but had absolutely no luck in OCI's. I too had to spend almost all of last semester sending off resumes and networking and trying to adjust to a new school and as a result my grades definitely suffered. Still I have no offers. It was also hard to be motivated to get good grades when they didn't mean a damn thing to anyone that saw them.

I'm pretty sure this is a "not what you know, but who you know" market. But I can definitely relate to being in rooms full of people with jobs when I have nothing.

What was the big law/fed rate at your old school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 pm

Thedude1342 wrote:I too am a 2L at a t14 school without a job for the summer. The career services office at my school said that if we didn't get employed out of OCI, than we're best forgetting about big, medium, or even small firms and to just focus on getting an unpaid internship. They also said it's best to remain geographically flexible. My honest impression is that my schools career services office has absolutely no idea what to do with students who didn't get a job through oci.

Getting an unpaid internship shouldn't be a problem from a T14. That's my realistic expectation right now. Also going to start hitting up small firms. Nothing to lose at this point. I suggest you do the same.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L transfer now at T14. I got shut out of OCI, ended up with something at a small firm. Hoping my chances of big law come 3L aren't completely out of the picture.

This seemed to happen to a lot of transfers at my T14 for some reason.

Thedude1342

Postby Thedude1342 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 am

mvp99 wrote:

What was the big law/fed rate at your old school?

At my old school it was pretty bad - certainly less than 10% got big law. So all in all I still feel ok about my transfer decision.

Thedude1342

Postby Thedude1342 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Getting an unpaid internship shouldn't be a problem from a T14. That's my realistic expectation right now. Also going to start hitting up small firms. Nothing to lose at this point. I suggest you do the same.

Thank you, I certainly will

Return to “Legal Employment”