Interview question help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview question help

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

--
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Re: Interview question help

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm

I would briefly discuss my favorite subject in school for 2 minutes.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:I would briefly discuss my favorite subject in school for 2 minutes.

This. It's a bullshit, throwaway question, so you can answer it however you like. Talk about how you thought the cases in torts were the most interesting, or how you liked learning about the evolution of property rights. Just don't sit there gaping like a fish out of water, and you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:I would briefly discuss my favorite subject in school for 2 minutes.

This. It's a bullshit, throwaway question, so you can answer it however you like. Talk about how you thought the cases in torts were the most interesting, or how you liked learning about the evolution of property rights. Just don't sit there gaping like a fish out of water, and you'll be fine.

This is odd, but my favorite course was the one I did worst in --but it's the one I can answer to the best of my abilities. Should I still avoid discussing that course and go for discussing a course that I did okay or well in?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

This is odd, but my favorite course was the one I did worst in --but it's the one I can answer to the best of my abilities. Should I still avoid discussing that course and go for discussing a course that I did okay or well in?

If it was your favorite course, and you can discuss it well, then use it. Interviewers understand the vagaries of law school grading; they're not going to think it's weird that you didn't get your best grade in your favorite class (if they even know/remember how you did in each class).

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:45 pm

It's a question you would have to try to mess up. Off top of my head:

Contracts --> really enjoyed the commercial nature of the course and thought the material was particularly interesting

Crim --> I moonlight as a psychopath

Civ Pro --> I want to clerk for SCOTUS

Property --> Hey, hey! take it easement with those questions, then you wink

etc. etc.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:31 pm

zugzwanger wrote:

I like this one

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:03 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:

I like this one

If I were an interviewer and you said that, I would straight Livery of Seisin your ass...not the turf and twig part, but the child beating part.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:

I like this one

If I were an interviewer and you said that, I would straight Livery of Seisin your ass...not the turf and twig part, but the child beating part.

I'd be anonymous too if my jokes were this bad.

Briney Spring Gun

Postby Briney Spring Gun » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:16 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
zugzwanger wrote:

I like this one

I'd be anonymous too if my jokes were this bad.

Sorry, accidental anon, and yes, it was a terrible joke.

Return to “Legal Employment”