Switch from Lit to Corp - Incoming Associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What to do?

Email recruiting only
Notify partners
No votes
Stick with lit
Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

Switch from Lit to Corp - Incoming Associate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Would really appreciate feedback from lawyers-- not law students-- with regard to this question.

I'm a 3L. I have biglaw lined up for next fall. The firm that I'm going to does not "hire into" practice groups, but rather allows associates to choose. During my exit interview, I was asked what practice area I was interested in, and said litigation. After a ton of soul searching, I've concluded that I'd probably rather do corporate (restructuring, PE, finance, or cap markets).

I have drafted an email to recruiting, explaining my desire to switch. In the spring, they're going to send us questionnaires about our interests, and I figured it would be a good idea to communicate this sooner rather than later.

When I accepted the offer, a bunch of lit partners emailed me to congratulate me-- this is obviously par for the recruiting course, but do you think it's okay just to communicate with recruiting at this point?

I know I sound neurotic, thanks for the advice.

Re: Switch from Lit to Corp - Incoming Associate

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 am

I would just email recruiting. If you have relationships with any of the lit partners, it could be a good gesture to reach out and briefly explain to them your decision. But don't feel obligated to respond to random lit partners just because they emailed you congratulations. That's my two cents anyway.

One other consideration is, how certain are you that they'll hire you into corp? If there's any doubt, then I wouldn't talk to any partners about it until it's confirmed.

Return to “Legal Employment”