Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:13 pm

2L, UT/UCLA/Vandy, decent but not great grades

After striking out at OCI/mass-mail/etc., I have the option to do spring internship with a federal agency, and potentially a summer internship with either the same or different office of the same agency. Both are unpaid.

Do I do the summer internship if I get it or look for something else?

How likely is it to turn the two internships into a attorney honors gig with the agency after graduation? Does that experience even matter for stuff like that?

Any other advice about what to do in the meantime?

Anonymous User

Re: Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L, UT/UCLA/Vandy, decent but not great grades

After striking out at OCI/mass-mail/etc., I have the option to do spring internship with a federal agency, and potentially a summer internship with either the same or different office of the same agency. Both are unpaid.

Do I do the summer internship if I get it or look for something else?

How likely is it to turn the two internships into a attorney honors gig with the agency after graduation? Does that experience even matter for stuff like that?

Any other advice about what to do in the meantime?
It depends on the agency. There are a small number of agencies out there who hire directly from their intern classes but most do not. The experience will be useful regardless, but unless you are at one of the agencies that typically hire their interns your odds are still really low. In your position, I'd take the internship but keep looking for something that has a higher chance at a full-time job unless you are at one of those few agencies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:07 pm

OP: Thanks. Which agencies hire directly from their intern classes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP: Thanks. Which agencies hire directly from their intern classes?
It's something you have to ask at your interview, but I know the FTC (Bureau of Competition), IRS, OCC, FDIC, and PBGC routinely hire from their intern class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Very similar situation, down to grades and school. I spent two summers and a semester at the same federal agency and just got offered an Honors position after graduation. It's much easier to pull off at a smaller agency. Be sure to take advantage of networking chances and keep in touch with higher-ups

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”