Unpaid DOJ NSD internship worth the cost?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JayDubya

Unpaid DOJ NSD internship worth the cost?

Postby JayDubya » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm interviewing for an unpaid DOJ NSD internship in DC. My school offers scholarships for public service summer internships but I'll still probably spend a considerable amount of money in travel, food, lodging, etc. I'm planning on going DA's office post graduation and maybe trying for USAO down the line. Is this internship opportunity worth the cost that I would incur or would I be better off sticking close to home and doing an internship with a local DA's or USAO office?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JayDubya on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Re: Unpaid DOJ NSD internship worth the cost?

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:38 pm

If you just plan on going to the local DA office, I would say it is much more valuable to intern there.

As for USAO, they usually don't hire until you have a few years practicing. And at that point, I would think an 3 month internship during law school would be pretty worthless. They are going to look at your substantive experience while actually practicing. Maybe it would be good for some potential connections but probably not worth it; better off making those connections at the local DA office.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:44 pm

It sounds pretty cool but it's not in line with your career goals. If you wanted to get into nat sec law it would definitely be worth it, but you don't, so it's probably not.

JayDubya

Postby JayDubya » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Nat sec law would definitely be awesome, preferable to prosecuting domestics and DUIs at a DA's office for sure. But I go to T2 and will probably have average grades so I figure the DA's office is much more realistic.

Return to “Legal Employment”