Corporate but not legal jobs, 1L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate but not legal jobs, 1L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Hey I am at a t20 and I have an offer at a strat consulting firm, half of my grades came in and I'll probably be top 10%. This was alot higher than I expected and now that I am competitive for biglaw 2L summer, will working for a consulting firm this summer tank my chances at big law?

I'll also ask about ibanking/f500 corporate gigs since I'm sure the question comes up.

The firm pays similar to secondary market SA gigs.

J90

Re: Corporate but not legal jobs, 1L summer

Postby J90 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey I am at a t20 and I have an offer at a strat consulting firm, half of my grades came in and I'll probably be top 10%. This was alot higher than I expected and now that I am competitive for biglaw 2L summer, will working for a consulting firm this summer tank my chances at big law?

I'll also ask about ibanking/f500 corporate gigs since I'm sure the question comes up.

The firm pays similar to secondary market SA gigs.

Congrats on the grades so far, but you're not there yet. You have half your grades from this semester. You have none from next semester, which may or may not have more units in it depending on school. Essentially, you have a quarter of your grades and you're already assuming you're going to be top 10%?

Nothing matters until you have all of them. And grades aside, you're at a T20. You still shouldn't take big law for granted.

To answer your other question, I wouldn't do it. It signals you're not interested in law and makes you even less competitive for big law. Why'd you go to law school in the first place?

DoveBodyWash

Re: Corporate but not legal jobs, 1L summer

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey I am at a t20 ....half of my grades came in and I'll probably be top 10%...and now that I am competitive for biglaw 2L summer

what.

Anonymous User wrote:will working for a consulting firm this summer tank my chances at big law?

What do you plan on talking about during your OCI screeners?

Return to “Legal Employment”