Deadline Limbo

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deadline Limbo

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 am

What do you all do when you receive an assignment (or a laundry list of assignments) from a shareholder who will not give you a deadline. I work with one who does this, and it's kind of frustrating. Beyond checking when something is due to the court or opposing counsel and making sure to get it to the shareholder a week or so before that date, how do you plan? I understand everyone wants their stuff asap, but how is that possible when they literally give you 7 things to do for the case? What do you do? Thought I would check in and profit from the wisdom of TLS, as first years gonna first year. Trying to avoid getting burned on next year's reviews for working too slowly. No one has said anything yet, but first years are a paranoid bunch (or this one is anyways).

Only posting anon because colleagues on this site, too damn competitive to admit I am scared, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Thanks to all helpers!

Re: Deadline Limbo

Postby drs36 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:55 am

Have you asked him when he'd like an assignment finished or would that question put him off? I usually ask for a range. Some will say "not a priority," some "ASAP" and some give a specific date/time.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:20 pm

"ill get that by X, let me know if that doesn't work"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:14 pm

fats provolone wrote:"ill get that by X, let me know if that doesn't work"

I like this suggestion. Thanks for your help!

I have tried the other suggested approach, which has worked beautifully with most shareholders. This shareholder is a little odd about it. I'll ask her when she would like things finished, and she always either says nothing or ASAP. I know ASAP isn't the real answer, because she'll often give me 6-7 things to do at once in a case and will just kind of turn me loose/say do whatever you think you need to do. Also, after she gives me these things, she often forgets or says ASAP because the sooner we get things out (think: discovery non-form discovery requests), the sooner they come back in. It is infuriating. With others, they'll give me stuff (think pro bono or something like that), and then the trial is continued or the depo moved. In light of this, they say they don't need it anymore and I have more time. How much time, Mr.? Oh, well...we haven't rescheduled yet. No one has said anything about my turnaround, but having a project on my desk for over a week and a half (even with Christmas and no real deadline and pro bono) still makes me itchy. Unless it's a big securities investigation project or a motion for summary judgment. I know that stuff just takes a damn long time and I usually have real deadlines.

Return to “Legal Employment”