Interview Tie

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eazye

Interview Tie

Postby eazye » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:32 pm

-- deleted --
Last edited by eazye on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jump_man

Re: Interview Tie

Postby jump_man » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Use your own best judgment, but make sure you feel confident and comfortable with whatever you choose

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 pm

eazye wrote:Firstly thanks in advance for any help. But I was very fortunate and have interviews at 2 v100s for 1L sa gigs, and I was wondering what I should go with in terms of a tie. I received an Hermes tie as a gift for Christmas from my SO, but it's the only nice tie I own and I worry about it being too flashy or coming off as excessive. My old job also did not require suit/tie so I don't really know what I'm doing. Should I buy a cheaper tie that's maybe just completely navy blue or red or something?

Theres no need to go quite that boring. Use your discretion. If you are that worried, post a link to something that looks similar to what you have.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't want to spark you overthinking tie designs, but I would advise against a solid single color tie. If you have a navy blue suit, then just get a darker color tie that isn't too flashy -- maybe also a dark blue one with some nice accents/lines etc. Also, probably don't go with a slim tie, but a regular width.

Maybe something in this arena:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenn ... lotId%3D64

Just subtle/elegant, and you'll be fine

EDIT: assuming a white shirt (which IMO is best/safest)

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I forgot my nice ties at home and had to get a tie from the hotel gift shop the morning of a job fair. Out of 8 interviews I got 6 callbacks and eventually 4 offers. That tie became my lucky tie. By no means was it "nice" other than the fact that it looked ok with white or blue shirts. Your appearance should not be memorable and doesn't matter, especially if you're a guy.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Avoid Hermes for an interview, especially as a 1L. You've got to earn that shit.

Lately it seems that 50% of GQ's cover shoots use $15 ties from thetiebar.com. Cheap does not equal bad in any way, especially with ties.

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Things to not wear to interviews:

Contrast Collar shirts
French Cuff Shirts
Three Piece Suits/ Sweater Under Suit
Hermes ties?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:34 pm

you could probably leave the price tag on and still get a cb