Which 1L Summer Position is Better (for me)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OneLisfun

Which 1L Summer Position is Better (for me)?

Postby OneLisfun » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Last edited by OneLisfun on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

filibuster

Re: Which 1L Summer Position is Better (for me)?

Postby filibuster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:31 pm

It won't matter, man. If the solo gig is paid than take that position. Honestly, do whichever you prefer and kill your 1L grades.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Government and PI aren't really the same category.

I'd pick gov or PI. Whatever looks more substantive.

OneLisfun

Postby OneLisfun » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Government and PI aren't really the same category.

Okay, thanks for the advice. And do you think a firm would frown upon someone who did the solo firm internship? (Note: Probably looks especially connection/family friend type thing due to the prior experience there).

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:41 pm

OneLisfun wrote:

Okay, thanks for the advice. And do you think a firm would frown upon someone who did the solo firm internship? (Note: Probably looks especially connection/family friend type thing due to the prior experience there).

Nah they wouldn't really look down on it, but gov and prefstigious PI is harder to get.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:42 pm

OneLisfun wrote:

Firms don't really draw those distinctions about your 1L job. Most important thing is doing substantive work and being able to spin that in your favor during interviews. If you have an idea of what kind of work you wanna do then it can help narrow the focus. Being paid is always nice too but wouldn't pick job just because it pays unless all else was equal

OneLisfun

Postby OneLisfun » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
OneLisfun wrote:

Nah they wouldn't really look down on it, but gov and prefstigious PI is harder to get.

Yeah, but what about that whole thing people say about not wanting to look too into this PI/Gov stuff? You think the prestige overrides it?

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Anything legal is fine. Very doubtful that firms will try to trace some narrative in your interests based on 1L...it'll be more of a box check and as indicated above, if you can make some money while checking that box, then that's obviously even better.

EDIT: a lot of time PI work is what's mostly available for 1Ls since that seems to be where most of the help is needed. Unless somehow beyond 1L your resume screams PI, nobody will care.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Since 1L summer firm jobs are fairly rare, doing PI/government that summer probably isn't going to signal "I want PI" to firms because most people do something PI/gov. Judicial internships seem to be fairly "neutral" (they're non-profit but don't scream PI). If you're worried about your previous experience, maybe look for something in a different area? If, say, before LS you worked with DV victims and then 1L summer you did something else DV-related, I think that would look like a concerted career focus and send up more red flags than, say, doing Americorps and then volunteering for the state AG's office or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”