Chicago Area Employment Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago Area Employment Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:08 pm

I have an interview in Chicago in a couple of weeks and it's pretty much just a formality. The recruiter has all but officially offered me the job, plus I have a lot of good connections at this corporation. I passed this July's CA bar, and don't really have any desire to practice at a lawfirm (I just wanted to take it right after law school while the stuff was still fresh in case I changed my mind down the road). This job is in Compliance, which isn't exactly what I want to do long term either, but there is a great possibility for me to move to in-house in 2-3 years with this company. The compliance job would only pay around 80k a year with full benefits. But the in-house would be closer to 150k starting... of course that position isn't guaranteed though.

So is it worth me taking the compliance job and making 80k a year in Chicago in hopes of getting the in-house job down the road? I have only visited Chicago a couple of times so I am not real sure what type of area or place I could afford. The 80k is more than I make right now, but the standard of living in my area is much lower than Chicago... so it really comes out about the same.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Chicago Area Employment Question

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:51 pm

That really depends on how likely you are to get promoted from compliance to in house. I'd imagine that is a pipe dream, but I have no experience.

Chicago is a great city and it is pretty cheap.

Return to “Legal Employment”