Which Bar Exam for DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
daleearnhardt123

Which Bar Exam for DC

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Can someone outline some of the considerations I should be thinking about? Why is it that most people take VA? Is there a drawback to taking other states? (say, NY?) Why, despite the fact that it's universally considered easier, is Maryland's less desirable than VA's?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Which Bar Exam for DC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Why is it that most people take VA?

Where did you hear this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:22 pm

What are your goals? Are you trying to get sworn in as fast as possible? Do you think you might live elsewhere in the next few years? Are you trying to take an "easier" bar? I don't know if most people take VA but if that's true, it's because of geographic proximity. I've never heard that MD is less desirable than VA.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:16 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Can someone outline some of the considerations I should be thinking about? Why is it that most people take VA? Is there a drawback to taking other states? (say, NY?) Why, despite the fact that it's universally considered easier, is Maryland's less desirable than VA's?

Thanks!

It doesn't really matter. I'd take Md just for the no CLE thing.

I think a lot of people take VA because there is some legal market in Northern VA and they think they may end up there.

I'd probably take wherever you think you'd want to practice after DC.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:17 pm

I heard Maryland is better than VA (if taking purely for waiving into DC) b/c Maryland doesn't require CLEs. Virginia is also allegedly a harder bar, plus you have to go to Roanoke and wear a suit just to take the damn thing.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 pm

sundance95 wrote:I heard Maryland is better than VA (if taking purely for waiving into DC) b/c Maryland doesn't require CLEs. Virginia is also allegedly a harder bar, plus you have to go to Roanoke and wear a suit just to take the damn thing.

Roanoke?

I thought it was traditionally in Richmond. Although if I am grocking their web page correctly the Feb exam is slated for Norfolk... Go figure.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:03 pm

No it's always Roanoke July.

Return to “Legal Employment”