Biglaw to LLM to Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw to LLM to Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:18 pm

I always wanted to practice tax and did very well in my JD tax classes. The office of the firm in at doesn't have a tax practice (we use our firms main office for tax questions) so it would be hard to start practicing tax at this firm. Anyone have thoughts on getting a tax LLM and going to practice at this firm or another firm?

Any chance I could get the firm to pay for an NYU LLM? Do firms still do that ever?

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw to LLM to Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:44 pm

195 views and no responses? Not even 0Ls trying to make shit up? Come on guys...

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm a 3L about to enter big law--this sounds like a good plan to me. Tax is a great practice area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:195 views and no responses? Not even 0Ls trying to make shit up? Come on guys...

Rachel on suits got them to pay for her law degree as a paralegal. So, as an associate I'd give you a 95% chance on getting this done.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:195 views and no responses? Not even 0Ls trying to make shit up? Come on guys...

For humor purposes only...

20130312 wrote:Image

ETA: source: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=104400

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I should definitely be able to get into NYU Tax LLM, so that's not really the issue. Wondering more if anyone has gotten their firm to pay for it and/or convinced another firm to pay for it? or do most people just go for it solo and then bank on getting a job afterwards?

I know it probably seems stupid to some people to give up a biglaw job to go back to school, but I'm not crazy about general corporate practice and think i would be much happier in tax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I should definitely be able to get into NYU Tax LLM, so that's not really the issue. Wondering more if anyone has gotten their firm to pay for it and/or convinced another firm to pay for it? or do most people just go for it solo and then bank on getting a job afterwards?

I know it probably seems stupid to some people to give up a biglaw job to go back to school, but I'm not crazy about general corporate practice and think i would be much happier in tax.

Firms definitely do pay for NYU tax LLMs. However, they are typically (i) done part-time, while continuing to work full-time at the firm and (ii) done solely by associates already in the tax group. It is difficult for me to imagine a firm paying for a non-tax associate to do a tax LLM, though perhaps your firm would be willing if they are desperate for tax associates for whatever reason, or if you are a very popular junior associate. The only way to know for certain is to ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:35 pm

My firm paid for a guy to get an NYU tax LLM and then he lateraled so that probably poisoned the well for everyone else. But the point is that it's at least theoretically possible and worth asking.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:47 pm

I definitely would not take a year off to do an LLM, even tuition free.

If you are a stub year, try to get work from the other office in tax. Even if it's only a little, you can lateral and pretend you are a tax associate.

Return to “Legal Employment”