Post-SA summer plans

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-SA summer plans

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:45 pm

What is the timeline like if you get no offered? I'd like to make my plans now, because what I want to do is pretty extensive, but what if I get no-offered? When will I find out, even? I'll be working 8-9 weeks-will they let me know in the last week? Will I get hints along the way?

My firm has a 100% offer rate last year, and 98% the year before, so I'm probably worrying about nothing, I guess. But I imagine cold offers are more frequent. What if I accept a cold offer? Would that be really stupid?

Anonymous User

Re: Post-SA summer plans

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Firm dependent. Big NY firms and most Chi firms will either offer you your last week or within a week of your departure. Programs in other markets or those with smaller classes might take longer. A few friends didn't find out until into the school year, but the vast majority knew very soon after ending.

If you are going to get no-offered for anything that is your fault (and most things that aren't your fault) you will very likely have indications that it could be coming via negative or neutral reviews. At a 98%+ firm you shouldn't stress though.

Re: Cold Offers they can take on a whole host of temperatures from "Your work this summer had issues, we are giving you an offer you can accept but your progression here may be limited" to "We think it would be better if you found a job somewhere else" to "you can't accept but we will tell other employers that you have an offer to help you move on". They are rare enough that whether or not you can or should accept is a highly individualized thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:16 am

We were offered at the end. Other people made summer plans, but I did not because of your concerns. I'd make tentative plans to have a story. You become friends with the attorneys you work for, and they naturally ask towards the end. Saying I'm waiting on anything job related shows insecurity/you'd don't like the firm. It's also awkward. For what it's worth one of my friends heard back a month later. I'd make a refundable vacation so you're not lying but also don't fork over the money if you get no offered.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:22 am

^ lol what. or just say "im not sure yet"

Postby 2014 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:41 pm

"Gotta talk to my friends first" - makes you sound like you have friends and are alpha but accommodating

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:42 pm

rigorously analyzing the optimal response to a possible future friendly question from people you haven't met yet = alpha^alpha

Return to “Legal Employment”