Specialized Associate Positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheUofMich

Specialized Associate Positions

Postby TheUofMich » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I recently interviewed for a "Specialized Associate" position at Davis Polk in their NY office. To my surprise, it turns out the position is not the same as an entry-level associate. It is only for a year with no guarantee of a full time offer, and the interviewer explicitly told me the specialized associates make "less" than the others. Does anyone know how much these specialized associate positions do pay, preferably at Davis Polk specifically? The program has existed for a few years now, but I cannot find anything online with salary info. Thanks

Old Gregg

Re: Specialized Associate Positions

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:46 pm

sounds like a shitty staff associate position (another example is at Paul Weiss). pay is shit for NYC, not partner track and hours are still pretty bad. oh, and the work is genuinely worse than associate work. like imagine the most boring associate work out there, and imagine that filling all of your time.

if you're considering this, go to Orrick's West Virginia office. Same situation, but the lower COL makes your pay go a lot longer.

TheUofMich

Postby TheUofMich » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:56 pm

thanks for the reply; appreciate the insight. the position is in a specific practice - their Financial Institutions Group - doing specific work, namely dodd-frank regulatory stuff, for a specific period - at least one year. not sure if that makes it markedly different from the Paul Weiss program you mentioned (I read about that - 3 month contracts, NO thanks!), but it does seem to offer a slightly different experience...

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:17 pm

TheUofMich wrote:thanks for the reply; appreciate the insight. the position is in a specific practice - their Financial Institutions Group - doing specific work, namely dodd-frank regulatory stuff, for a specific period - at least one year. not sure if that makes it markedly different from the Paul Weiss program you mentioned (I read about that - 3 month contracts, NO thanks!), but it does seem to offer a slightly different experience...

Of course you take the position and continue to look every day until your 12 months end. At 12 months, they let you go, let you continue working as a staff attorney, or convert you to an associate. But of course, you must take and keep lookig. Dodd-Frank is kind of a bore. Its very transactional.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:32 am

I started out doing something similar, which helped me get the (awesome) job I have now. If you don't have anything better lined up, "meh" legal work is better than no work.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:00 am

aaaaah the ol' there-might-a-good-job-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-so-you-sell-your-soul-for-a-year-for-a-job trick

Return to “Legal Employment”