Lateral Move to Change Practice Group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Move to Change Practice Group

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 pm

2nd year biglaw associate here. Came to my firm because they are strong in a sub area of litigation. Lots of people wanted into that group my year and litigation-based groups were very slow when my class came in. Did some work for the group and loved it, but big case came along in general lit. Since hours were so scarce at the time, I had to take it. But that pulled me away from the group I wanted and I was too far removed by the time practice group decisions were finalized.

I don't really enjoy gen lit (though I like the procedural aspects of it). And no chance my firm will let me transfer into that sub area (its really not a sub area of litigation as much as it is an entirely separate group with a hard line dividing it from gen lit). Only other option to break into this area would be to find a position with a different firm.

I've seen a few firms hiring for laterals in that practice area, and some even say that gen. lit experience is all that is absolutely required (though most obviously prefer experience in that sub area). Curious if anyone is in similar situation, how to best approach it, etc.

nygrrrl

Re: Lateral Move to Change Practice Group

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 pm

I have a friend who's going through something similar right now, just ending his 1st year. Wondering if the sub group is the same - IP?
He is actively looking, as there is zero chance he'll be able to move groups where he is. This is a non-TLS person or I'd put you in touch with one another; I'll definitely follow this thread and pass on any information he has, from his experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I have a friend who's going through something similar right now, just ending his 1st year. Wondering if the sub group is the same - IP?
He is actively looking, as there is zero chance he'll be able to move groups where he is. This is a non-TLS person or I'd put you in touch with one another; I'll definitely follow this thread and pass on any information he has, from his experience.

Thanks for the input. The particular sub area isn't really too important to mention/discuss.

Yeah, its a shame since I loved the people in the group, did good work for the group, and its the area I've wanted to work in since the moment I decided on law school. And my long-term career plans sort of rely upon me actually getting into that area in the first place. I don't intend to so easily cast aside my long-term ambitions simply because I happen to be on another big case at the time practice groups were formally decided. So I'm crossing my fingers that I can somehow find my way into that area at another firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Bumping for any other insight/advice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:05 pm

One last bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:19 pm

I guess I will call a legal recruiter and see what their input is. I'm sure there have been people in my situation before, though I can understand why not too many on TLS.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:30 pm

I could offer advice if you would share what practice group you are currently in and what practice group you would be moving to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:02 am

^^^ Sent you a PM

Return to “Legal Employment”