Bring resumés to holiday receptions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bring resumés to holiday receptions?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Are we expected to bring a resumé, transcripts or anything else to firms' 1L holiday receptions? I'd hate to be the only homer walking around with a padfolio, but I guess it would suck worse to not have something to give out if they ask for it.

txdude45

Silver

Re: Bring resumés to holiday receptions?

Post by txdude45 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are we expected to bring a resumé, transcripts or anything else to firms' 1L holiday receptions? I'd hate to be the only homer walking around with a padfolio, but I guess it would suck worse to not have something to give out if they ask for it.
If you're going to go, just be sure to ask for cards and, if appropriate, send your resume via email the next day.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 pm

definitely don't

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are we expected to bring a resumé, transcripts or anything else to firms' 1L holiday receptions? I'd hate to be the only homer walking around with a padfolio, but I guess it would suck worse to not have something to give out if they ask for it.
If you're going to go, just be sure to ask for cards and, if appropriate, send your resume via email the next day.
do this

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:47 am

If you go to law school in the same market I would personally attend the reception, get business cards, and reach out for coffee first before sending over a resume but everyone really does this in their own way.

You should definitely NOT bring your resume to the reception though as others have already stated. Have fun drinking.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:45 am

don't bring your resume. wtf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:29 am

sinfiery wrote:definitely don't

txdude45 wrote:
do this

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 am

Yes, and also get some mock interviews in to prepare yourself for the surprise interview over by the egg nog bowl.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 pm

sd5289 wrote:Yes, and also get some mock interviews in to prepare yourself for the surprise interview over by the egg nog bowl.
I mean, tbh OP should treat conversations like that as if the attorney is trying to get a feel for whether you would fit in at the firm. So OP don't assume it's just "hanging out" or something.

Surefire44

New

Post by Surefire44 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't think you should go at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:09 am

TCR is print out glossy 8x10s of your boner and bring those

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 am

Br3v wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Yes, and also get some mock interviews in to prepare yourself for the surprise interview over by the egg nog bowl.
I mean, tbh OP should treat conversations like that as if the attorney is trying to get a feel for whether you would fit in at the firm. So OP don't assume it's just "hanging out" or something.
True. Assumed OP understood that this is not a festive occasion to get drunk and go wild, but I guess I've seen enough ATL stories to know I shouldn't assume people already know that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 pm

You don't bring resumes to a holiday reception. I think you should probably visit your career services to ask for some advice on how to approach these events, and what they are intended to accomplish. Sounds like you have a bit of a misconception. These holiday receptions are meant for chatting, networking, fun conversation, learning more about the firm, having a drink or two, etc. At most, you may ask for a business card (or exchange business cards if you have your own, though no lawyer is going to be the one contacting you, so its really only important that you get theirs). And perhaps you can follow up, chat a bit more, and if the circumstances are right, pass along a resume.

But you most certainly don't want to be walking around a holiday reception with a padfolio of resumes. I'll tell you that much right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:20 am

OP here - thanks for the replies. Yep, I was just unsure about the level of networking going on at the receptions. I've been to my first couple now, and had a good time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:36 pm

I would bring your resume, writing sample, and a pack of cover letters individually tailored to each specific partner. I did this my 1L year and after following up by ambushing partners at Starbucks, the gym, and their country clubs, I was able to secure an offer.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:23 am

Pikappraider wrote:I would bring your resume, writing sample, and a pack of cover letters individually tailored to each specific partner. I did this my 1L year and after following up by ambushing partners at Starbucks, the gym, and their country clubs, I was able to secure an offer.
This advice is TTT. Just find out where the partners like to poop and slide a resume under the stall door.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Holiday receptions are designed to recruit you, not to figure out who to hire. The overwhelming likelihood is no one will remember you. (Exception do exist, I'm sure.)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Holiday receptions are designed to recruit you, not to figure out who to hire. The overwhelming likelihood is no one will remember you. (Exception do exist, I'm sure.)
Too bad. We all made OP less memorable then. I'd certainly remember a kid toting a padfolio full of resumes staking out the egg nog bowl ready to pounce.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”