1L Summer Consulting?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Baby_Got_Feuerbach

1L Summer Consulting?

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:56 am

Do any TLSers have experience with working for a consulting shop, in the vein of KPMG, Oliver Wyman, and EY, their first summer? Do these companies only hire 2Ls?

Looking for feedback on the application process. Thanks.

bdubs

Re: 1L Summer Consulting?

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:55 pm

General feedback is to do something that involves some legal work during your 1L summer. It's not a great signal about your interest in the law to spend your time during the first opportunity to do legal work doing something that is not legal and you could have done without going to law school.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 am

It all depends on what you want to do. I will be going into management consulting after law school having summered at a law firm 2L. I would say that the 1L gig would help you get the 2L summer at the consulting firm. They tend to hire 2Ls, so I would say it is more likely to get the summer job if you are applying through your schools OCI, and they are actually screening you. Filling out an online application and submitting may not work out this year.

That being said, it is an interesting career and having a JD gives you that bump above those out of undergrad, and you are usually started off as a "senior associate" or the equivalent. However, as previously mentioned, if you want a job at a law firm, this may raise some red flags.

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:57 am

Chucky21 wrote:It all depends on what you want to do. I will be going into management consulting after law school having summered at a law firm 2L. I would say that the 1L gig would help you get the 2L summer at the consulting firm. They tend to hire 2Ls, so I would say it is more likely to get the summer job if you are applying through your schools OCI, and they are actually screening you. Filling out an online application and submitting may not work out this year.

That being said, it is an interesting career and having a JD gives you that bump above those out of undergrad, and you are usually started off as a "senior associate" or the equivalent. However, as previously mentioned, if you want a job at a law firm, this may raise some red flags.

What was the process for landing in management consulting after graduation, having been a summer associate? Did you have any experience in consulting prior to law school? Did you interview during 3L OCI? I would be nervous about jumping into consulting without an opportunity to first splash around during a summer.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:23 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:It all depends on what you want to do. I will be going into management consulting after law school having summered at a law firm 2L. I would say that the 1L gig would help you get the 2L summer at the consulting firm. They tend to hire 2Ls, so I would say it is more likely to get the summer job if you are applying through your schools OCI, and they are actually screening you. Filling out an online application and submitting may not work out this year.

What was the process for landing in management consulting after graduation, having been a summer associate? Did you have any experience in consulting prior to law school? Did you interview during 3L OCI? I would be nervous about jumping into consulting without an opportunity to first splash around during a summer.

I got the job through 3L OCI. It was a regular screening and callback interview. I did not have any consulting experience prior to law school, and while I am taking a leap into a different industry, it was the right move for me. The practice I am going into is legal oriented and many JDs are hired into that group. I also feel that my skillset fits with the consulting model. In addition, the firm I was at was fairly specialized and the opportunities down the road were minimal. Furthermore, the culture and lack of transparency at the law firm was less than ideal to say the least.

While it may seem daunting to jump into consulting, the summer associate gig did not really give me an insight into real life at the firm. By this point, I feel confident enough to jump into a situation and get my feet wet to learn as quickly as possible. However, I tend to like sink or swim situations and thrive off them, I realize not everyone has the same mindset.

Return to “Legal Employment”