Billing question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Billing question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Whether big firm or small firm, does someone sit down with you when you're hired and explain how to bill your time? I don't mean how to draft your entries and what increments to use. I'm thinking like what do you do when you're working on a project and get up to use the restroom/get coffee/stop in the hall to chat for a minute/etc. Do you just keep the clock running? Also, do you round up or down when you're in between?

Anonymous User

Re: Billing question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:18 pm

:arrow: bump

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whether big firm or small firm, does someone sit down with you when you're hired and explain how to bill your time? I don't mean how to draft your entries and what increments to use. I'm thinking like what do you do when you're working on a project and get up to use the restroom/get coffee/stop in the hall to chat for a minute/etc. Do you just keep the clock running? Also, do you round up or down when you're in between?

yes.
depends on person, but i doubt many are stopping the timer for a two minute break to get a glass of water.
you use a timer that rounds, or if manual, just round up to the nearest 1/10.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:24 pm

my firm never told me how to bill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:my firm never told me how to bill.

Can't tell if serious or flaming.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:my firm never told me how to bill.

Can't tell if serious or flaming.

Not flaming. They taught us how to write an entry that doesn't get rejected. But there is absolutely no training on what counts as billable or ethical billing in general.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:31 pm

they don't tell you bc they want you to err on the side of more hours but can't say it explicitly

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 pm

fats provolone wrote:they don't tell you bc they want you to err on the side of more hours but can't say it explicitly

Yea exactly.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fats provolone wrote:they don't tell you bc they want you to err on the side of more hours but can't say it explicitly

Yea exactly.

are you billing right THIS SECOND?!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whether big firm or small firm, does someone sit down with you when you're hired and explain how to bill your time? I don't mean how to draft your entries and what increments to use. I'm thinking like what do you do when you're working on a project and get up to use the restroom/get coffee/stop in the hall to chat for a minute/etc. Do you just keep the clock running? Also, do you round up or down when you're in between?

My firm gave me some guidance, which is basically asking "is what I'm billing for advancing the interests of the client?" If the answer is yes, bill it. If not, then don't.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 pm

kalvano wrote:

My firm gave me some guidance, which is basically asking "is what I'm billing for advancing the interests of the client?" If the answer is yes, bill it. If not, then don't.

yea but don't forget partners are your clients

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

Don't ask, don't tell. They'll tell you if you're billing too much. Usually, you aren't.

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't ask, don't tell. They'll tell you if you're billing too much. Usually, you aren't.

I don't think there is any such thing as "billing too much" at my firm, so long as your billables accurately reflect the the work you have done for the client.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am

When I first started at my firm I tried asking seniors about billing. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone. I got the sense that everyone get comfortable with what they do, but not comfortable enough to pass their practice on.

Just bill everything honestly and let the partners deal with it. That strategy has worked for me without a single complaint.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 am

My firm also gave me no training or insight into billing.

I've learned to bill everything. Be productive when your timer is running, but bill everything. Your rate builds in the fact that you're slow and take 30 minutes to accomplish what a senior associate/partner can accomplish in 10 minutes.

No mercy. Be honest, but don't feel bad if you screw something up and have to do it three times. Just bill it all.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:23 am

I didn't get any insight besides another associate telling me to be more detailed in my entries. Advice is this thread echoes a lot of what I've learned over time too, bill for everything you do, even if it's to the firm for general admin crap you get stuck with. All of the hours you work matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:35 am

Do hours billed to the firm go toward your annual requirement?

gk101

Postby gk101 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do hours billed to the firm go toward your annual requirement?

firms occasionally say those hours count, but 95% of the time they are lying.

Return to “Legal Employment”