Writing Sample Advice for PD's offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ceereeus420

Writing Sample Advice for PD's offices

Postby ceereeus420 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 pm

So I am applying to my local PD's office and they requested a writing sample. I have two different options, but I'm not sure which would be best.

First, I have a prosecution memo that I wrote my 2L year. It is a well written objective memo that discusses what charges the DA should and should not file against a defendant.

Second, I have a brief of a motion to suppress physical evidence that I wrote during my 3L criminal defense clinic. This is obviously more in accord with what I would do in the PD's office, but the problem is that the arguments are not strong. For example, one argument was that the officer lacked probable cause to pull a vehicle over for speeding because his radar equipment left room for human error (guy was going 89 in a 45 mph zone.) The facts were not in our favor at all, so we just had to make the best with what we had.

Does anyone know what a PD's office would rather see as the sample?

Thanks a lot.

encore1101

Re: Writing Sample Advice for PD's offices

Postby encore1101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:55 pm

What are the other arguments for the criminal defense motion? Feel free to PM. I ask because I think the practical/persuasive writing sample would be better unless your memo shows morelegal analysis than simply looking at the statute (i.e. looking at legislative history, case law interpretations, etc).

Displeased

Re: Writing Sample Advice for PD's offices

Postby Displeased » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:17 pm

ceereeus420 wrote:
Second, I have a brief of a motion to suppress physical evidence that I wrote during my 3L criminal defense clinic. This is obviously more in accord with what I would do in the PD's office, but the problem is that the arguments are not strong. For example, one argument was that the officer lacked probable cause to pull a vehicle over for speeding because his radar equipment left room for human error (guy was going 89 in a 45 mph zone.) The facts were not in our favor at all, so we just had to make the best with what we had.

Does anyone know what a PD's office would rather see as the sample?

I've go with the second motion, precisely because the facts aren't in your favor. Roughly 95% of the time as a PD, you'll be making very flimsy arguments with both the law and the facts against you. A memo that showcases that you can and will make those arguments is more useful than a generic writing sample.

Besides I don't think PD's tend to read writing samples too thoroughly, they read them mostly just to confirm that you are literate and can write cogently.

Return to “Legal Employment”