Public Interest/Nonprofit Exit Options for Biglaw M&A Attys Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Public Interest/Nonprofit Exit Options for Biglaw M&A Attys

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Do these exist? What types of organizations would have these positions? How much experience would you need to transition? People talk about "nonprofit incorporation," but from what I have seen it seems like this is just something that usually involves only outside pro bono counsel. I presume most nonprofit institutional investors would hire fund lawyers, and most nonprofits would litigators, instead of M&A lawyers, correct? Are there any in-house positions for M&A lawyers? If there are, are they exceedingly scarce? If I'm looking to do public interest/nonprofit work, should I just try to start from scratch as a litigator? Is that a terrible move? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Feel free to discuss government options (SEC, etc.) as well, but I am mainly thinking about the above.

desertlaw

Silver

Re: Public Interest/Nonprofit Exit Options for Biglaw M&A Attys

Post by desertlaw » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:20 am

If you like the negotiating/drafting part of M&A and are interested in policy/advocacy, you might like non-profit lobbying at a state level where you draft new legislation and then work with a lot of different parties (legislators, stake-holders in the industry) to close "deals" by essentially passing new laws.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am

There are very few of these positions, and (in NY at least) they generally go to super high achieving women who want a job that allows them to work 30hrs a week and go to a nice gala or two while having full flexibility to spend time with their kids, with no need to earn money because they are not the primary earner.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I don't think anyone cares what your legal background is for these, rather, you should be willing to work for damn near free and have a wealthy family that can make calls for you or help fundraise. That's way more important than your skills, as these jobs are quasi ceremonial and there is a huge surplus of incredibly talented semi-retired lawyers to do them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Bumping this very old thread to ask whether it's harder for M&A attorneys to exit into policy/nonprofit/compliance jobs than other corporate attorneys?

Or if there's even a chance I want to do nonprofit work, should I be a litigator?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”