1 of 2 partners at my tiny firm is a jackass, what do I do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: 1 of 2 partners at my tiny firm is a jackass, what do I do?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am

(Starts thread asking for advice)

"LOOK GUYS I WORKED AT A LAW FIRM BEFORE LAW SCHOOL AND IN THREE MONTHS OF BEING A LAWYER IVE NEVER LOST IN COURT SO I DONT NEED YOUR ADVICE"

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 am

so ambivalent wrote:Dude, that was a super dick response. Sugar tits? Let me guess, you are a white male? It's the 21st century, stop being a chauvinist pig.
But I will address your points because I do want honest responses from people who 1) are not in a big law environment 2) do not use the word "sugartits"
1) If you read through my post you would see that I am not unprepared. I have yet to lose in court or on a motion. I had these Schedules done a month ago. I got into work at 7 am yesterday, worked on the schedules until I had to drive out to a court hearing (for my own client who loves me and offers to send us checks in addition to our retainer for work I haven't yet done btw) where I got everything my client asked for in less than an hour, drove back in and finished the fucking schedules as my boss was out to lunch. Everything was printed out and on his desk before he got back. When I left for the day I had billed almost 9 hours. So, no I am not "unprepared" or "childish." I billed 1800 a year when I worked in a major US market for big law and big bank clients before I went to law school; this ain't my first rodeo.
2) I am expected to buy into this firm and become a partner; when they fuck up for a client it's my reputation and my ass on the line. When they do shit the costs the firm money that comes out of my bonus. It's not a big law thing where I take home my 160k and peace out. When they can't use Excel and I have to bill 5 hours printing shit out that we wouldn't need to bill at all that directly eats into our fees (this project was a flat fees).
3) As for my "awful way of handling the situation" I said "let me know what you need and I will do it before Friday." He didn't respond to my email.

I really don't want people in BigLaw to give me there take on this because I specifically stayed in this market and with a firm like this to avoid BigLaw. I wanted smaller clients who are regular people, a diverse practice, and to buy into a small firm and help it grow. But I am wondering if the way they are behaving means they don't want this for me (as they promised when I joined) and/or if it's just not possible because of this one person.

I'm in a smaller firm as well (about 20 attorneys) and can confirm there are people like this in every firm.

I have a boomer here that can't use Lexis. So he goes and reads the annotated code, comes to my office, and has me print off a list of cases for him. I bill that shit and don't complain (you can't get an easier .2 of billing than this).

The same guy will come into my office on Wednesday at 3:00 and tell me a brief in opposition to a 25 page motion for summary judgment is due Friday. And he needs me to do the entire thing because he's in a settlement conference. I buck up and review the file, draft the thing, and have it on his desk Friday morning.

A different partner has me draft huge motions, only to delete 90% of what I write. Not kidding--he literally deletes almost my entire motion and basically uses my draft as a brainstorming draft, then he dictates his own motion. The only thing he keeps are the captions, introduction, and certificate of service.

A different partner who is about 75 years old asks me to lunch all the time. These are two hour lunches that almost guarantee I'm due for a long day at the office, but I go because that's what you do.

And a different partner (that does real estate) constantly has me walk to the county courthouse to pull deeds, plat drawings, and condominium declarations. Mind-numbing stuff (because our county's document system is so old), but hey, it always takes over an hour and it's easy billables.

And a different partner is part-time, goes on lunches all the time, and has me do doc-review for 5000 pages of discovery.

And the others have me go to their pre-trials over an hour away from our office (a lot of counties here in Ohio don't allow counsel to appear by phone for certain motions). I suck it up and go.

All in all, you're living the life of a junior associate. Believe it or not, your partners probably had to do the same type of bullshit bitch-work that you're doing now. You really do just have to suck it up.

And as for, "OMG, our firm's reputation is on the line and this is costing me money." No. That's not how it works. Small firms like ours live off the reputation and connections of partners. Clients aren't going to know that you had to scramble to get a motion filed; they're just going to have a pretty good idea as to whether your firm handled things as competently, professionally, and in the case of a small firm, as personally as possible.

It's your partner's job to bring clients in the door by using their reputation and connections and then keeping them updated about their case. It's your job to cover the cracks, do everything in between, and make the machine function so the clients believe your firm is handling things well.

Yes, it can be frustrating as hell, but keep working hard (which it sounds like you are). You'll eventually get rewarded.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with SBL on just about everything, especially the awesomeness of the phrase "sugartits."

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Icculus wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with SBL on just about everything, especially the awesomeness of the phrase "sugartits."

If OP doesn't read my posts for content over tone hopefully she'll at least read AVBucks', because he basically said the same things without telling her she's a child or commenting on the sugariness of her tits, which, quite frankly, I no longer think are very sugary at all.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

1800 hours is a cake walk, hon

you sound ill-suited for the profession in which you currently find yourself

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 pm

mephistopheles wrote:1800 hours is a cake walk, hon

I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation: She billed 1800 hours as a paralegal once. This ain't her first rodeo.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm

SBL wrote:

I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation: She billed 1800 hours as a paralegal once. This ain't her first rodeo.

I was an SA at a mid-size firm last summer (~90 attorneys) with a girl that was a paralegal at Kirkland's DC office. She would never shut the fuck up about how busy she always was at Kirkland, how many hours she billed, how she slept there regularly, how she had to run to the courthouse, etc. Her "war stories" were fucking mind-numbing. And she had this awful sense of entitlement that, since she'd done that, certain tasks/subject areas (e.g., small real estate disputes) were beneath her (she'd always pass along assignments to me).

So, from my extremely limited anecdotal experience, BigLaw paralegals that eventually become lawyers have this goofy sense of entitlement when they become lawyers. I think it's because they took so many bullshit orders as paralegals that they must have thought, "Once I finish law school, no more of this bullshit." That's just not how it works. Sorry.

That said, I can somewhat sympathize with OP's frustration. Getting constantly distracted from doing substantive work takes its toll every once in a while. But when I get asked, "What kind of law do you practice," I usually reply, "I don't really have a practice area...I'm the junior associate, so I do all the motions, research, court appearances, and tasks that partners either don't have time to do or simply don't want to do."

But that's what I expected for at least 3-4 years. And if you expected anything differently, that's on you.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:07 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
SBL wrote:

I was an SA at a mid-size firm last summer (~90 attorneys) with a girl that was a paralegal at Kirkland's DC office. She would never shut the fuck up about how busy she always was at Kirkland, how many hours she billed, how she slept there regularly, how she had to run to the courthouse, etc. Her "war stories" were fucking mind-numbing. And she had this awful sense of entitlement that, since she'd done that, certain tasks/subject areas (e.g., small real estate disputes) were beneath her (she'd always pass along assignments to me).

So, from my extremely limited anecdotal experience, BigLaw paralegals that eventually become lawyers have this goofy sense of entitlement when they become lawyers. I think it's because they took so many bullshit orders as paralegals that they must have thought, "Once I finish law school, no more of this bullshit." That's just not how it works. Sorry.

That said, I can somewhat sympathize with OP's frustration. Getting constantly distracted from doing substantive work takes its toll every once in a while. But when I get asked, "What kind of law do you practice," I usually reply, "I don't really have a practice area...I'm the junior associate, so I do all the motions, research, court appearances, and tasks that partners either don't have time to do or simply don't want to do."

But that's what I expected for at least 3-4 years. And if you expected anything differently, that's on you.

Interestingly the most terrible girl in my 1L section was a former K&E paralegal. She also looked like a scoop of melting ice cream.

cmscott12

Postby cmscott12 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Is his name on the door? If yes, you are never going to change who he is or how he practices law. Therefore, I see three options.

1. Put up with that shit and leave it at that.

2. Take the initiative to anticipate what needs to be done, figure out where he fits in and how he will fuck it up, and then make it so he can't fuck it up for you. This means that you can't rely on him to get shit done. If you do, you will be disappointed. Have everything done before he asks (to the degree that is possible). Learn his nuances and neutralize them.

3. Quit

If his name is not on the door, then talk to the guy whose is and get him to help you work out a solution. Good luck.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:43 pm

SBL wrote:

seems like it is.. i mean she sure isn't heeding the advice of these here rodeo clowns

so ambivalent

Postby so ambivalent » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:52 pm

To SBL and all the other trolls: I never said I was a paralegal; if you're going to try to rip me apart via a computer screen, you should at least do a close reading of what I wrote. My fault for feeding trolls I suppose.
As for the other (helpful) advice, yea, I am thinking I will just have to wait around until a better option comes along. Had lunch with partner whose name is on the door at another much respected firm yesterday who said he will hire in a year (and I love his work and his tech savvy). So I'll just have to keep the network strong and surround myself with other attorneys who remind me that there are awesome, smart, and kind people in this profession, despite what the TLS forum and it's Biglaw tunnel-vision would have one believe.
P.S. As for the Indian buffet, haven't tried it because I'm too busy billing, but I assume it's excellent, because that might explain why this dude is obese.
p.p.s. I am sending out Holiday cards after all....to all the other firms I want to work for.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:55 pm

/finishes post, smirks, forcefully clicks submit, leans back with arms folded behind head

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:06 pm

so ambivalent wrote:To SBL and all the other trolls: I never said I was a paralegal; if you're going to try to rip me apart via a computer screen, you should at least do a close reading of what I wrote. My fault for feeding trolls I suppose.
As for the other (helpful) advice, yea, I am thinking I will just have to wait around until a better option comes along. Had lunch with partner whose name is on the door at another much respected firm yesterday who said he will hire in a year (and I love his work and his tech savvy). So I'll just have to keep the network strong and surround myself with other attorneys who remind me that there are awesome, smart, and kind people in this profession, despite what the TLS forum and it's Biglaw tunnel-vision would have one believe.
P.S. As for the Indian buffet, haven't tried it because I'm too busy billing, but I assume it's excellent, because that might explain why this dude is obese.
p.p.s. I am sending out Holiday cards after all....to all the other firms I want to work for.

You didn't say you weren't a paralegal.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 pm

lol at the "biglaw tunnel vision" non sequitur too. someone's got a value pack of doritos on her shoulder

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
so ambivalent wrote:To SBL and all the other trolls: I never said I was a paralegal; if you're going to try to rip me apart via a computer screen, you should at least do a close reading of what I wrote. My fault for feeding trolls I suppose.

You didn't say you weren't a paralegal.

She said she billed 1800 hours at a law firm before law school. I suppose the options are (1) that she was a paralegal, (2) that she was practicing law without a license a'la Suits, or (3) that she's lying on the internet. In either instance, I give zero fucks. The fact that she thinks people giving her the eminently reasonable advice of "Suck it up, this is adult work" are just trolling pretty much says all you need to know.

Solid dig at your boss's weight problem though OP, definitely seems like he's the real problem here.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm enjoying this and wanted to add my own irrelevant comment.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:55 pm

fats provolone wrote:lol at the "biglaw tunnel vision" non sequitur too. someone's got a value pack of doritos on her shoulder

:lol:

gk101

Postby gk101 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:57 pm

should have taken the partner whose name is on the door at another much respected firm to the Indian buffet for lunch yesterday. maybe he would have hired you immediately

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:58 pm

pls post the holiday card

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:14 pm

fats provolone wrote:pls post the holiday card

It's actually just a xerox of her vagina.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:51 pm

"too busy billing," lol

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:53 pm

what matter # did you bill this thread to?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:55 pm

fats provolone wrote:what matter # did you bill this thread to?

Marketing

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:55 pm

follow-up q: did the partner make you print the thread out

Return to “Legal Employment”