Construction Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Construction Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Does anyone know much about construction law firms in the south/southwest? Who are the better firms? Is it difficult to get into?

Anonymous User

Re: Construction Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:27 pm

bumping

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm

I work at a prominent construction boutique in the South/ Southwest.

I have a tough time suggesting much (because it would likely out me) but you can visit the regional bar websites (Maricopa County Bar, Houston Bar, Dallas Bar) and see where the officers of the construction law sections work to get a good cross section of boutiques.

No different that any other hyper-specialized boutique to break into. I was a SA at my firm and had an competitive offer extended in October of my 3L year. Hours are very nice and workflow is pretty manageable compared to friends in similar situations at biglaw.

OP, are you looking to go into lit or transnational work? Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

From what I understand, a lot of boutiques do both lit and transactional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a prominent construction boutique in the South/ Southwest.

I have a tough time suggesting much (because it would likely out me) but you can visit the regional bar websites (Maricopa County Bar, Houston Bar, Dallas Bar) and see where the officers of the construction law sections work to get a good cross section of boutiques.

No different that any other hyper-specialized boutique to break into. I was a SA at my firm and had an competitive offer extended in October of my 3L year. Hours are very nice and workflow is pretty manageable compared to friends in similar situations at biglaw.

OP, are you looking to go into lit or transnational work? Happy to answer any other questions you may have.
What is the market forecast for construction litigation in the coming years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I understand, a lot of boutiques do both lit and transactional.
First response here. This is correct. We do both but there's hardly any overlap. The two branches hire almost autonomously from each other--even at a small firm. From a 20,000 foot view, the two overlap very slightly in the sense that lit typically lags behind transaction by 12-18 months. I do exclusively lit work and it's just starting to pick back up.
Anonymous User wrote:
What is the market forecast for construction litigation in the coming years?
Good to very good, especially in our neck of the woods. 2014 was a pretty good year for the firm. We made 3+ new hires, which is quite a bit for a small firm. 2015 looks VERY good, at least the first quarter does. I can say with relative certainty that I'll exceed my billables this coming year (1800-1900). I have quite a few things (as an associate, mind you) that are small potatoes now that will turn into big deals in about 2-3 months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”