1L summer judicial internships -legal writing sample? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawlskoolz

New

1L summer judicial internships -legal writing sample?

Post by lawlskoolz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 am

-
Last edited by lawlskoolz on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1L summer judicial internships -legal writing sample?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:53 am

Moved to more appropriate forum.

And yes, you should use a legal writing sample. If your alternative is to use something pre-law school, I wouldn't. It looks weird and it suggests you did so poorly in 1L LWR that you have nothing to show.

If you mean the alternative is leaving the writing sample out, most judges I'm familiar with require them (admittedly not NY). Judges who want to see them may ask you to submit one before reviewing your app, or may just not review your app - it's hard to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am

Yes! I'm a current clerk, and we are definitely looking for excellent writing samples from our 1L summer applications. Why? Because we want our summer interns to create LESS work for us rather than MORE. We've hired duds in the past, and we really don't like having to re-write simple orders when they should have been near-perfect the first time.

lawlskoolz

New

Post by lawlskoolz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you for your responses.

But my question is, have you hired people (or for those who have interned for fed judges before--did you get an internship without submitting the legal writing sample first) who didn't submit their legal writing sample initially? I was hoping to submit mine when asked.
Last edited by lawlskoolz on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

My judges wouldn't have considered an application complete without a writing sample, but I can't say that's the case for every judge. It might depend on the school and on the judge's preference - my school had a listing of requirements for our students' applications to local judges and all asked for writing samples. But my school name wasn't carrying a lot of weight in the application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:36 pm

I did a 1L externship with a Federal Magistrate Judge, and she and her clerk carefully reviewed my writing sample before interviewing me. Judges and their clerks tend to be a bit more interested in hiring candidates with good writing skills, so I would be hesitant to submit an application to a judge without one.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 pm

lawlskoolz wrote:Thank you for your responses.

But my question is, have you hired people (or for those who have interned for fed judges before--did you get an internship without submitting the legal writing sample first) who didn't submit their legal writing sample initially? I was hoping to submit mine when asked.
I applied to federal judges without sending a writing sample and the judges who wanted one just asked for it. Not a big deal and it saved me adding an extra ten pages to each application. Some judges asked for both grades and a writing sample. I would definitely expect to be asked for it though. If you think your most recent legal writing assignment was an improvement then use that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

lawlskoolz wrote:Thank you for your responses.

Current Fed. D. Ct. clerk here.

We won't review applications without writing samples. Due to the nature of the internship, applicants should assume we would be interested in the quality of their writing.

As for whether we will ask for them from those whose applications did not include writing samples, it will depend. We will review complete applications first. If we fill the spots, there is no need to ask for writing samples from people and then wait for them to arrive. We just don't have the time.

lawlskoolz

New

Post by lawlskoolz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:27 am

-
Last edited by lawlskoolz on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:05 am

In my experience, single-sided is standard.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I believe when I applied I went single-sided for everything except my legal writing sample, which was double-sided. I sent a writing sample to every single judge I applied to...and I received a call the day after I mailed my apps, so things move quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:46 pm

When I applied last winter for a summer position, the clerks I spoke with at the interview and my school's career services indicated that a writing sample was required. I used my legal writing memo. I also included a list of references. CoA, if that helps.

Edit: more clarity - everything single-sided, cover letter/resume/transcript (I waited until the day after grades were released to mail)/writing sample/references, all sent unfolded on professional paper in a manila envelope.

Scuppers

New

Post by Scuppers » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Career services specifically told us not to include anything but a resume and cover letter with the understanding that if they wanted grades or writing samples, they would call or email and ask for them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Only if they ask. Did they ask?

Back in 2008, I landed an E.D. Mich. Federal Judge internship in Detroit right around January of my 1L year, and I'm pretty sure I didn't submit a writing sample. I'm not even sure grades were a factor based on others with whom I interned. Maybe it depends on the court, but the E.D in downtown Detroit wanted law students in their chambers. I also interned at a 6th Cir. internship that fall, and while I may have submitted a writing sample, I had a sense my selection was based more on grades (pro tip - if you can slide a piece of paper to your interviewer during your interview that is a summer class supplement to your resume showing an A in crim law, that's cool). If you have good grades, you'll probably have a good writing sample, that's all I'm trying to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Definitely include a writing sample. Its the most important part of your application, especially since you should be submitting the applications as soon as possible and even before you receive your Fall grades. Many submit as earliest as they can on December 1.

Use what you think is your best legal writing work and make sure its 100% clean with correct citations. Your previous legal writing grades might be predictive of how Judges will evaluate your writing but they also might not. I had a friend who ended up with a median grade on her first-semester memorandum but a top Circuit judge loved it and offered an internship before grades were released based on the sample and resume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”