Got no billables. Help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Got no billables. Help!

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Asking for work once a week is definitely just bothering people. If someone likes you enough to give you work consider asking lighting a 3-week fuse that will cause you to be bombed with work in a few weeks when their shit piles up and they remember to assign some to you.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's an appropriate interval to wait before asking partners/senior associates for work (other than the assigning partner, who presumably should be updated regularly)? 1 week? 2 weeks? Hard to imagine people getting annoyed about excessive eagerness to work, but you never know . . .

How does your firm assign work, how little work do you have, and how busy is the firm generally? At some free market places I think 1/week is fine. If you have a centralized assignment system of any kind it's probably too often.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:30 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:It's easier said than done when you're brand new, but just enjoy the down time. Leave at the earliest possible time that won't raise eyebrows and definitely don't just hang around to show how available you are or anything dumb like that.

This is all going to vary from office to office (and people within an office will tell you different things about it), but I would do this cautiously. I was sort of in your shoes, OP, and I got some blowback for the perception that I wasn't around enough, even though I was having the same experience as you wrt running around asking for work and being promised work and then *crickets*

It may just be that my boss or some partner near me is a boomer fool. But I went from working from home occasionally and leaving around 4-5 to go home and do more doc review at times to making damn sure that I'm there until/after 6pm everyday.

I'd still follow everyone else's advice tho bc it seems like I'm the outlier who got in trouble for billing like 70 hrs in October when I was almost begging for work.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:17 pm

You were bouncing b/t 4-5 PM as a stub year? Jesus dude.

I meant something along the lines of leave at 6:30 or w/e works and don't just twiddle your thumbs til 9 PM doin nothing.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm also in lit, first year though. I was slow as fuck my first month and a half or so. Lately, that is not the case at all. Sooo much case staffing.

To OP, just ask for work or get to know legal support staff who can tell you when new cases are coming in. Then, you can angle to work with a shareholder under the guise of really wanting to work with shareholder x or on projects like y. Worked for me. Bribed the assistants with delicious cronuts. Unfortunately, it works too well sometimes and you have too much on your plate--sometimes shareholders don't take no for answer, which super sucks.

Anyways, it'll probably get better, but I don't blame you for being a little stir crazy. I was while slow, and probably will be when I slow down again in a couple of months.
Last edited by alicrimson on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:51 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:You were bouncing b/t 4-5 PM as a stub year? Jesus dude.

I meant something along the lines of leave at 6:30 or w/e works and don't just twiddle your thumbs til 9 PM doin nothing.

lol i leave at 430 every day

and keep working til midnight :(

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:23 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:You were bouncing b/t 4-5 PM as a stub year? Jesus dude.

Our office is a ghost town by 6 or 7. Not biglaw.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Ah gotcha, makes sense then.

FD you cop the dual monitors for working at home? Everything takes me literally twice as long on just the laptop.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:55 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Ah gotcha, makes sense then.

FD you cop the dual monitors for working at home? Everything takes me literally twice as long on just the laptop.

Moar billables!

Btw fellow dual monitor bros, if you do a lot of writing and your monitor can do it, I love having one of mine rotated 90.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Ah gotcha, makes sense then.

i already had two mons at home but i also bought a docking station so I can just swap out my personal laptop for the work one

Return to “Legal Employment”