Summer 1L employment options; advice needed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Madmen321

Summer 1L employment options; advice needed

Postby Madmen321 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:56 pm

I know the general advice is that what you do your 1L summer does not matter much, but I have been fortunate to get a few offers already and am interested in advice on which position may be a better option:

Here are my options to date:

1. Internship at DOJ (unpaid) -- would have to find/pay for housing

2. Position in house at large private company. -- I still have not heard anything about pay (and haven't been able to track anything down online), I just know it's compensated and a living stipend is provided. So basically I don't know if the money would be just enough to cover living expenses or enough to save some of it.

I also have applied to a few firms, but haven't heard anything back... Obviously don't have high hopes.

A bit about me: at T-10, went straight through, strong undergrad grades (if that matters), looking for big law. Money is not a huge issue.

So that's it, I'm looking for any advice or opinions on which option would be best/look best on applications to firms next year, or whether it won't make a difference at all. Thanks!

BigZuck

Re: Summer 1L employment options; advice needed

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:59 pm

Madmen321 wrote:I know the general advice is that what you do your 1L summer does not matter much, but I have been fortunate to get a few offers already and am interested in advice on which position may be a better option:

Here are my options to date:

1. Internship at DOJ (unpaid) -- would have to find/pay for housing

2. Position in house at large private company. -- I still have not heard anything about pay (and haven't been able to track anything down online), I just know it's compensated and a living stipend is provided. So basically I don't know if the money would be just enough to cover living expenses or enough to save some of it.

I also have applied to a few firms, but haven't heard anything back... Obviously don't have high hopes.

A bit about me: at T-10, went straight through, strong undergrad grades (if that matters), looking for big law. Money is not a huge issue.

So that's it, I'm looking for any advice or opinions on which option would be best/look best on applications to firms next year, or whether it won't make a difference at all. Thanks!

Paid>>>>>>>not paid, especially if you're just on the path to being a big law drone. If you snag a 1L SA then take it, IMO, if not then I'd probably just take the in house job

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:59 pm

For 1L summer it doesn't matter what you do, as long as it's something legal. Therefore, I would take the money. If you wanted government rather than Biglaw, I'd say take the DOJ. But since you're gunning for Biglaw, follow the money.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Would not be suprised if paid is less than your school would give you for doing pi work in the summer.

Having this business experience may help to talk about since you're k-jd.

But basically pick what you want and enjoy your summer. It really doesn't matter.

GOATlawman

Postby GOATlawman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 am

Definitely find out what the pay is

I'm pretty sure most schools give you like $10/hr for public interest and government, or $4k for the summer or whatever, so depending on the corporation it probably won't amount to a whole lot more

And assuming its roughly 10 weeks at either place, the small amount of $$$ should IMO not be a significant consideration

Either is fine for OCI

At the fringe, DOJ may help a little more if you hope to be a litigator and/or go to govt down the road
Same way in-house may help a little if you want to be transactional and/or go in-house down the road

I would figure out what you want to do, and then take that one

ETA: Industry of the company may also be relevant, again, at the fringe. E.g., if you want to practice in Texas to O&G work, in-house experience at an O&G company will be looked upon favorably by some even if it was just an internship. Same goes for other particularized industries like tech -> IP or whatever else

in the end, it's all just about building a narrative for what you want to do with your life

Return to “Legal Employment”