Commute from Hunters Point ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Commute from Hunters Point ?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:05 am

I'll be SAing at one of the big NorCal firms next summer

Some of my boys have a place maybe 5 or so blocks off of 3rd and I can def crash with them

I havent' lived there for a while now so I don't really know what's up these days. I heard they got a rail bus deal few years back too but I have never taken it, and I dont even know the hours on it?

Anyone know how this commute would compare to places the lawyers usually live in the city? Particularly at night since obviously there's late nights and such...

Also, its probably stupid, but would other lawyers or partners find it weird or hold u back socially living in HP? But i mean shit livin in the city for free!! lol

Internationalist

Re: Commute from Hunters Point ?

Postby Internationalist » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:54 am

From 3rd you can take the T light rail to the Ferry building which is a close walk to just about all the big SF firms. I tihnk the T runs until around midnight.

I don't think you have to worry about the social stuff. For firm events, your firm will probably book you a cab or Uber on their corporate account. For non-firm social stuff, just take an uber or lyft home You're living for free so you're probably still coming out way ahead even if you take a car home every night (unless you're a super-bro and go out to the Marina every night) and won't have to worry about taking public transit through HP.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:29 pm

I don't know, man. Hunter's Point is pretty wild. I'd prefer not to live there, personally. If you want to save money, maybe go for Oakland?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Do not subject yourself to the fuckery of a Muni metro commute from a far away neighborhood. I did that this summer (lived in Castro/Noe Valley/Bernal Heights area and commuted to the Embarcadero) and it took 45 mins each way despite my apartment and office both being 2 blocks from a J stop.

I'm not super familiar with Hunter's Point - will you be within 2-3 blocks of a BART station? If so, go for it. But if your only option is to take Muni (especially if your commute involves a Muni bus in addition to Muni metro or BART), you're honestly going to have a shorter commute living in the East Bay and BARTing.

Also keep in mind that even if you're willing to put up with the work commute, it is no fun to go out on nights & weekends when it takes you 45 mins on Muni to get to the Mission or SoMa. (This may not matter to you if you plan to spend heartily on Uber/Lyft/Sidecar.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do not subject yourself to the fuckery of a Muni metro commute from a far away neighborhood. I did that this summer (lived in Castro/Noe Valley/Bernal Heights area and commuted to the Embarcadero) and it took 45 mins each way despite my apartment and office both being 2 blocks from a J stop.

I'm not super familiar with Hunter's Point - will you be within 2-3 blocks of a BART station? If so, go for it. But if your only option is to take Muni (especially if your commute involves a Muni bus in addition to Muni metro or BART), you're honestly going to have a shorter commute living in the East Bay and BARTing.

Also keep in mind that even if you're willing to put up with the work commute, it is no fun to go out on nights & weekends when it takes you 45 mins on Muni to get to the Mission or SoMa. (This may not matter to you if you plan to spend heartily on Uber/Lyft/Sidecar.)

If you live in Hunter's Point, your commute will be the least of your concerns unless you are VERY familiar with the area. I doubt that Uber, Lyft, Sidecar, or any taxi service will even venture there. Are you from HP and have family there? That may be the only justifiable reason to live there as a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do not subject yourself to the fuckery of a Muni metro commute from a far away neighborhood. I did that this summer (lived in Castro/Noe Valley/Bernal Heights area and commuted to the Embarcadero) and it took 45 mins each way despite my apartment and office both being 2 blocks from a J stop.

What? I live on the south side of Noe and the commute to Embarcadero doesn't take 45 minutes unless there is some problem with Muni (which, TBF, is often enough--at least once every two weeks). But then I try to jump on Muni before the full brunt of rush hour kicks off, so I suppose YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

If you live in Hunter's Point, your commute will be the least of your concerns unless you are VERY familiar with the area. I doubt that Uber, Lyft, Sidecar, or any taxi service will even venture there. Are you from HP and have family there? That may be the only justifiable reason to live there as a lawyer.

Coming back to this thread...

Thanks for all the opinions from everyone

I am familiar with the point wrt non- work related stuff . Without possibly outing myself to ppl that I meet in the future, its similar to what I grew up in and is how i still know lots of ppl around

The bigger things I'd be concerned about is more going to/from the office, like someone mentioned in here. Not sure why I would, but if I needed to get to the office at like midnight, that seems like it would be tough. I could probably get a ride lol but I wouldn't wanna make that a recurring thing.

Honestly, most ppl in the area have access to cars for that kinda shit, but I'm not tryna spend $50 parking for a day that would kill the whole cost savings of living there in the first place

And tbh this kinda reaction from yall is what I would be kinda worried abt when ppl ask where I live or whatever..i mean would any partner ever like, offer to drop u off at home after a late night or anything like that? That would be pretty funny tho LoL but yea I'm sure you can see why it could be an issue...

at the same time it would be fun as shit to live w the boys again..we roll thru in cars when goin out anyways so thats not really an issue

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Coming back to this thread...

Thanks for all the opinions from everyone

I am familiar with the point wrt non- work related stuff . Without possibly outing myself to ppl that I meet in the future, its similar to what I grew up in and is how i still know lots of ppl around

The bigger things I'd be concerned about is more going to/from the office, like someone mentioned in here. Not sure why I would, but if I needed to get to the office at like midnight, that seems like it would be tough. I could probably get a ride lol but I wouldn't wanna make that a recurring thing.

Honestly, most ppl in the area have access to cars for that kinda shit, but I'm not tryna spend $50 parking for a day that would kill the whole cost savings of living there in the first place

And tbh this kinda reaction from yall is what I would be kinda worried abt when ppl ask where I live or whatever..i mean would any partner ever like, offer to drop u off at home after a late night or anything like that? That would be pretty funny tho LoL but yea I'm sure you can see why it could be an issue...

at the same time it would be fun as shit to live w the boys again..we roll thru in cars when goin out anyways so thats not really an issue

I highly doubt it'll be an issue at all for the summer. No one will care where you live, and it's a great way to save money if you are fine with living in the area. When you actually work there as an associate, it may become an issue in exactly the way you are worried about, especially because law is full of conservative old white guys.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Apart from muni being a hassle I don't see this as an issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Castro/Noe is a far away neighborhood? LJL.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Also I know HP is a little rough but I highly doubt it's so dicey you can't catch a Lyft or Uber pretty much anytime. If OP isn't paying any rent all summer taking Lyft to work every day is 100% doable.

Return to “Legal Employment”