Patent Prosecution to Corp/Tech Transactions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
runfromthelaw

New

Patent Prosecution to Corp/Tech Transactions

Post by runfromthelaw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:06 am

I started my career as an engineer, then switched to the patent group at my company, and eventually moved to an IP boutique doing patent prosecution. I accepted a SA job at a top IP boutique that does a wide variety of patent prosecution & litigation, and trademark work.

However, I went to law school with the goal of Becoming a Corporate Attorney. I am particularly interested in technology transactions (M&A and commercial licensing deals), but I'm open to general corporate work. To give yourself an idea of the type of work I'd like to do, look up Richard Hsu's youtube channel (Shearman & Sterling SV Partner). The firm I'm joining does almost none of that.

I have a few questions:

(1) Any tips on how to transition into a corporate role?

(2) I am thinking of spending more time in litigation this summer as I already have patent prosecution experience. Is that a good move?

(3) For full-service firms that do patent prosecution (few do), would it be wise to take the back-door into the corporate world? By this I mean applying to patent prosecution jobs at those full-service firms, and then trying to move within the firm. This may be an issue if the firm has two job openings, one in patent prosecution and one in technology transactions.

(4) Anything I can do while I am in school to enhance my profile for corporate law jobs? I am taking a heavy load of corporate law courses, especially seminar/paper courses with the hope of getting published.

(5) Do you have any recommendations regarding the best time to start applying; i.e. should I wait till after I become an associate or apply during 3L?

Thank you for reading.

Return to “Legal Employment”