Firm Holiday (& other post-acceptance) Swag Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Did it make you feel like the firm really values you as a human being?

Yes, I think they really care about me personally.
47%
No, I know better than to let ~$50 of stuff buy an ounce of loyalty from me.
53%

Total votes: 163

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Firm Holiday (& other post-acceptance) Swag

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whats the thank you policy on this? Email to recruiting contact? (Gift was a kindle, so I do want to acknowledge it.)
Why recruiting? It's not like they bought the kindle. The gift is from the equity partners, so that's who you thank.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:17 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Whats the thank you policy on this? Email to recruiting contact? (Gift was a kindle, so I do want to acknowledge it.)
Why recruiting? It's not like they bought the kindle. The gift is from the equity partners, so that's who you thank.
Just in case that person is currently about to hit send on an email to all of the partners at the firm... Yes to recruiting. They organize the gift giving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Avian wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Just in case that person is currently about to hit send on an email to all of the partners at the firm... Yes to recruiting. They organize the gift giving.
I thought it would be very odd to email a partner who I talked to three months ago to thank them for a holiday gift. Recruiting made more sense because they are my primary point of contact with the firm, and it makes more sense that they organize the gift giving. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All we got from Willkie was a mug -- clear sign of firm struggling = I'm gonna be no offered??

Really wish we could keep offers open this long so we could compare holiday swag to see which firm is doing best!
My girlfriend got an LL Bean sweater on the first day of work in the Summer. You can look forward to that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Got a holiday e-card from Nixon Peabody. At least it's something, right?...I wish I got some cool swag :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All we got from Willkie was a mug -- clear sign of firm struggling = I'm gonna be no offered??

Really wish we could keep offers open this long so we could compare holiday swag to see which firm is doing best!
My girlfriend got an LL Bean sweater on the first day of work in the Summer. You can look forward to that.
Now this is more like it baby

e: fwiw this mug is now my go to lounging at home mug so all around not a bad look

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get anything from Jones Day, or is there no need for me to prepare for 3L OCI?
Surprised it didn't come up when you were hired but just FYI you're really not supposed to share what you get

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 pm

jchiles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get anything from Jones Day, or is there no need for me to prepare for 3L OCI?
Surprised it didn't come up when you were hired but just FYI you're really not supposed to share what you get
Why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jchiles wrote:
Why?
You're asking too many questions. Steve Brogan is on these boards you know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Oht of the ordinary to have not heard anything from firm yet? Don't need a gift, just want to know I still have a job next summer.

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jchiles wrote:
Why?
You're asking too many questions. Steve Brogan is on these boards you know.
The ventriloquist?

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jchiles wrote:
Why?
Black box compensation also applies to JD holiday gifts

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Has anybody else received no holiday communication at all so far? (no email/letter/anything?) Am I about to get a post-new-year rescinded offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody else received no holiday communication at all so far? (no email/letter/anything?) Am I about to get a post-new-year rescinded offer.
Can you chill out

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody else received no holiday communication at all so far? (no email/letter/anything?) Am I about to get a post-new-year rescinded offer.
No, your lack of contact does not mean your offer is being rescinded, many firms just don't do gifts. Although you should really be asking yourself if you'd want to work for the kind of firm that doesn't send out $20-30 worth of cookies or firm swag... :shock:

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 am

Avian wrote:
No, your lack of contact does not mean your offer is being rescinded, many firms just don't do gifts. Although you should really be asking yourself if you'd want to work for the kind of firm that doesn't send out $20-30 worth of cookies or firm swag... :shock:
Probs CovingTTTon

SkaEnthusiast

New

Post by SkaEnthusiast » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Anything noteworthy on this front yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:05 pm

SkaEnthusiast wrote:Anything noteworthy on this front yet?
Fidget spinners for days.

See http://abovethelaw.com/2017/08/biglaw-i ... ll-doomed/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Offer gifts

Gibson: Mrs Field's sampler
Kirkland: brownies
Latham: Swell Bottle
STB: Nothing
DPW: Nothing
Sullcrom: Weird book of short stories unrelated to anything so far as I can tell
Wachtell: nothing
Cravath: Swell bottle

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer gifts

Sullcrom: Weird book of short stories unrelated to anything so far as I can tell
Hahaha this is awesome. What a mind fuck thing to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Weil: Tin of Cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar

Yum!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil: Tin of Cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar

Yum!
Are these post offer acceptance, or just post offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 am

I got some pretty uncomfortable/awkward bluetooth earbuds from Dechert at callback. The cord in between buds has to either hang under my chin like some sort of dumb necklace, or behind my neck so that the volume adjuster thing appears to dangle from my ear. Also, the earbuds are programmed with a stereotypical Asian female voice that tells me "battery row, prease charge" every 5 seconds until I rip the damn things out and flush down toilet (jk I still have them).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got some pretty uncomfortable/awkward bluetooth earbuds from Dechert at callback. The cord in between buds has to either hang under my chin like some sort of dumb necklace, or behind my neck so that the volume adjuster thing appears to dangle from my ear. Also, the earbuds are programmed with a stereotypical Asian female voice that tells me "battery row, prease charge" every 5 seconds until I rip the damn things out and flush down toilet (jk I still have them).
I got those same ones! But I haven't been able to use them at all because the rubber part that goes around the earbuds to stay in place in your ear is just the left ear one twice (it's even marked with L for both ears). For the right ear, they just flipped it upside down and then put it onto the earbud, but since there's a part sticking out, it won't fit in my ear unless I take it off. Not to mention I couldn't get it to connect via Bluetooth to any of my devices...

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got some pretty uncomfortable/awkward bluetooth earbuds from Dechert at callback. The cord in between buds has to either hang under my chin like some sort of dumb necklace, or behind my neck so that the volume adjuster thing appears to dangle from my ear. Also, the earbuds are programmed with a stereotypical Asian female voice that tells me "battery row, prease charge" every 5 seconds until I rip the damn things out and flush down toilet (jk I still have them).
I got those same ones! But I haven't been able to use them at all because the rubber part that goes around the earbuds to stay in place in your ear is just the left ear one twice (it's even marked with L for both ears). For the right ear, they just flipped it upside down and then put it onto the earbud, but since there's a part sticking out, it won't fit in my ear unless I take it off. Not to mention I couldn't get it to connect via Bluetooth to any of my devices...
I thought people were joking when they said you could judge a firm by its swag

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”