Litigators taking questions from law students

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:27 am

Sorry if this has been asked but:

1) What kind of recruiting calls do you get? Anything in house?
2) If you're not a Supreme Clerk scholar are your partnership chances virtually done?
3) If you want to stay in big law how important is the vault ranking of your firm? If you picked a lower ranked firm for fit and specialty areas, does vault rank matter as much as some make it seem to?
4) Does most of your work come from the same partners?
5) Is it hard to space your hours out somewhat evenly through the year?

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:30 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Do you wish you would have majored in a real degree and not gone to law school?

I majored in a real degree and still went to law school :(

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Kimikho » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:31 am

LeDique wrote:
Kimikho wrote:Would you recommend litigation for someone who really doesn't want to be in a courtroom (given the fact that most litigators don't end up there anyways)?


Why don't you want to be in a courtroom?


I don't think I'd be good at it and I don't know if I'll be able to see over the podium thing.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15409
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby sublime » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:38 am

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:51 pm

(Accidental post)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:50 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Sorry if this has been asked but:

1) What kind of recruiting calls do you get? Anything in house?
2) If you're not a Supreme Clerk scholar are your partnership chances virtually done?
3) If you want to stay in big law how important is the vault ranking of your firm? If you picked a lower ranked firm for fit and specialty areas, does vault rank matter as much as some make it seem to?
4) Does most of your work come from the same partners?
5) Is it hard to space your hours out somewhat evenly through the year?

1.) All of the recruiting spam I get is for other law firms. Most businesses don't use in-house counsel to handle litigation because they either hire a law firm directly or through their insurers, so I don't really have the kind of skills that would be useful for that sort of job.

2.) Partnership odds vary wildly by firm, so I can't really give you an informed answer here. I think things look pretty good, but really it just comes down to self-selection. A whole lot of people in the first five years decide that they're just done dealing with this shit and don't want a whole life of it, which is understandable.

3.) My understanding is that Vault rankings are almost completely irrelevant outside of NYC transactional practice. Litigators who are hyper-focused on Vault rankings are usually just blind prestige whores. This is 100x more true if you're working outside of NYC.

4.) Yes. About 95% of my work comes from the same 3 partners.

5.) Yes. You're probably going to have a few months where you can cruise at 130-150 hours and a few others where you're killing yourself at nearly twice that, and unless you have a trial you probably won't know too far in advance which is which. Just learn to enjoy it when it's slow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:2.) Partnership odds vary wildly by firm, so I can't really give you an informed answer here. I think things look pretty good, but really it just comes down to self-selection. A whole lot of people in the first five years decide that they're just done dealing with this shit and don't want a whole life of it, which is understandable.


When you say that some people decide they "don't want a whole life of it" what do they do at that point? Exit the profession and do something non-legal?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:2.) Partnership odds vary wildly by firm, so I can't really give you an informed answer here. I think things look pretty good, but really it just comes down to self-selection. A whole lot of people in the first five years decide that they're just done dealing with this shit and don't want a whole life of it, which is understandable.


When you say that some people decide they "don't want a whole life of it" what do they do at that point? Exit the profession and do something non-legal?

Small firm? Go solo? Government work? Non-legal job? Move out to the New Mexican desert and cook blue meth? Who knows, but there's definitely life beyond large firm litigation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Litigators taking questions from law students

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
First Offense wrote:What area is booming?

What time do you get to go home on average?

I have absolutely no idea what is booming. Maybe IP?

I usually get home about 6:30.


IP is not booming. It's busy, but not booming.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.