About to fail a class. Do I still have a chance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fratstar1

Re: About to fail a class. Do I still have a chance?

Postby fratstar1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:34 am

Idk i feel 4 u. I think these things have a way of working themselves out if you submitted it like 5 minutes after the deadline I think when it comes it to there going to make a positive determination, if they dont and they end up screwing your gpa that may be an indicator this place isnt for you and drop out. Also I dont know what recruiting is like there but I know that gpa only really matters with the large corporate firms that have lists of class gpa's they get from the CSO so they can compare. A small or midsized firm in a secondary market that you mass mail isnt going to care if you had one bad mark if you can show that in every other way that your into what there doing/maybe write on to law review.

sorry if my short hand is indiscernible, I've been outlining property all night

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:40 am

alex90 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
sublime wrote:I'm sure you can find someone to take your money. It would be best to try to get it wiped though.

Agree. The only transfer that would make sense would be Berkeley/Stanford (both extremely unlikely without a 4.0 especially the furd). Maybe USC/UCLA could make sense if you really keep debt down this year and/or have a rich benefactor paying your way because you would only be on the hook for sticker price for 2 years but I doubt they would accept you with an F on your transcript.

Yeah, I know. At this point I don't even dare consider UCLA/USC which is pretty disappointing because my parents live in L.A. and I wouldn't need to pay for living expenses. I was rejected by UC Davis and waitlisted/rejected by Pepperdine.

I can get a LOR from a Berkeley law professor (he wrote me one when I was applying to law school) and I'll try to get more from Yale and Harvard graduates. Will this help in any way to transfer even with an "F" on the record?

No, they care about your gpa/school rank, not LOR from law professors you haven't taken law classes from

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:47 am

BigZuck wrote:
alex90 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
sublime wrote:I'm sure you can find someone to take your money. It would be best to try to get it wiped though.

Agree. The only transfer that would make sense would be Berkeley/Stanford (both extremely unlikely without a 4.0 especially the furd). Maybe USC/UCLA could make sense if you really keep debt down this year and/or have a rich benefactor paying your way because you would only be on the hook for sticker price for 2 years but I doubt they would accept you with an F on your transcript.

Yeah, I know. At this point I don't even dare consider UCLA/USC which is pretty disappointing because my parents live in L.A. and I wouldn't need to pay for living expenses. I was rejected by UC Davis and waitlisted/rejected by Pepperdine.

I can get a LOR from a Berkeley law professor (he wrote me one when I was applying to law school) and I'll try to get more from Yale and Harvard graduates. Will this help in any way to transfer even with an "F" on the record?

No, they care about your gpa/school rank, not LOR from law professors you haven't taken law classes from

Well, I took business law with the Berkeley professor, right now I have a Yale graduate for one of my classes and will have a Harvard one in the Spring. So, I'd have taken classes with the professors but I'm not sure if any letters from them will help.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:50 am

fratstar1 wrote:Idk i feel 4 u. I think these things have a way of working themselves out if you submitted it like 5 minutes after the deadline I think when it comes it to there going to make a positive determination, if they dont and they end up screwing your gpa that may be an indicator this place isnt for you and drop out. Also I dont know what recruiting is like there but I know that gpa only really matters with the large corporate firms that have lists of class gpa's they get from the CSO so they can compare. A small or midsized firm in a secondary market that you mass mail isnt going to care if you had one bad mark if you can show that in every other way that your into what there doing/maybe write on to law review.

I think you're brushing with too broad a strokes with regard to small/midsized firms

But I'll go ahead and brush myself: I have some familiarity with the whole "mass blast every firm in CA with >20 attorneys" thing. It's not easy. I think the OP will be DOA applying from Montana with an F on his transcript, ties to the area be damned. Certainly at the shops I think of as "mid law" in Southern CA. Maaaaybe he can drum up some interest at small firms if he hits the ground hustling', but that will be hard to do from halfway across the country.

Getting a job in CA is going to be really tough if he stays at Montana, he'll almost certainly graduate jobless and have to hustle post bar. That's why I'm wondering if he can't just tap out of this semester, assuming all he is out is money and there aren't any other repercussions (and I really have no idea if there are or not).

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:53 am

alex90 wrote:Well, I took business law with the Berkeley professor, right now I have a Yale graduate for one of my classes and will have a Harvard one in the Spring. So, I'd have taken classes with the professors but I'm not sure if any letters from them will help.

The Berkeley professor was when you were in undergrad, yes? That doesn't matter, undergrad isn't law school.

Are you thinking that taking a class at the University of Montana taught by a Harvard grad will carry a lot of weight? More so than one taught by a Columbia grad? Or a Duke grad? Maybe if it was some superstar professor it might matter on the margins (although I doubt it), but these letters almost certainly won't help you outperform your GPA IMO.

NYCFAN1

Postby NYCFAN1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:59 am

most CA law schools can't place their grads into decent CA mid law gigs

drop out and retake

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:07 am

BigZuck wrote:
fratstar1 wrote:Idk i feel 4 u. I think these things have a way of working themselves out if you submitted it like 5 minutes after the deadline I think when it comes it to there going to make a positive determination, if they dont and they end up screwing your gpa that may be an indicator this place isnt for you and drop out. Also I dont know what recruiting is like there but I know that gpa only really matters with the large corporate firms that have lists of class gpa's they get from the CSO so they can compare. A small or midsized firm in a secondary market that you mass mail isnt going to care if you had one bad mark if you can show that in every other way that your into what there doing/maybe write on to law review.

I think you're brushing with too broad a strokes with regard to small/midsized firms

But I'll go ahead and brush myself: I have some familiarity with the whole "mass blast every firm in CA with >20 attorneys" thing. It's not easy. I think the OP will be DOA applying from Montana with an F on his transcript, ties to the area be damned. Certainly at the shops I think of as "mid law" in Southern CA. Maaaaybe he can drum up some interest at small firms if he hits the ground hustling', but that will be hard to do from halfway across the country.

Getting a job in CA is going to be really tough if he stays at Montana, he'll almost certainly graduate jobless and have to hustle post bar. That's why I'm wondering if he can't just tap out of this semester, assuming all he is out is money and there aren't any other repercussions (and I really have no idea if there are or not).

That's why I was wondering if doing something extra would help - pro-bono, LLM, etc. I'll volunteer for a low-income tax return NPO this winter, try to get an externship later on, or law review if it isn't too much to hope for. I can go to China and brush up on my Chinese skills (I spent 1 year there as an undergrad). PRC's GDP is almost the same as ours, my guess is that by the time I'm out of law school their companies will be much more active doing business in America. Maybe that's just wishful thinking... but I do know a guy who majored in Chinese, went to law school in Cali and is now working for one of the biggest law firms in China.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:14 am

NYCFAN1 wrote:most CA law schools can't place their grads into decent CA mid law gigs

drop out and retake

No matter the LSAT score, the schools are still going to see the "F" on my transcript, so I'm going to be worse off than the first time I applied, am I not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:23 am

If you don't finish the semester, you (presumably) won't have a transcript. Explaining that you dropped out of 1L the first time is a pain, but it's better than having an F on your transcript. Drop out Monday and don't look back.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 am

alex90 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

That's why I was wondering if doing something extra would help - pro-bono, LLM, etc. I'll volunteer for a low-income tax return NPO this winter, try to get an externship later on, or law review if it isn't too much to hope for. I can go to China and brush up on my Chinese skills (I spent 1 year there as an undergrad). PRC's GDP is almost the same as ours, my guess is that by the time I'm out of law school their companies will be much more active doing business in America. Maybe that's just wishful thinking... but I do know a guy who majored in Chinese, went to law school in Cali and is now working for one of the biggest law firms in China.

Going to law school in Montana, picking up an F along the way, then moving to China and eventually hoping to get a job in CA (or is it China? I can't really tell what the plan is) just seems crazy to me.

This is what I would do:

If you can drop out this minute and all you're out is money, there are no other repercussions (meaning you don't get any grades this semester and can just start at a clean slate), I would drop out, retake and reapply and have a good reason to explain away attending law school for almost an entire semester when you apply again. An addendum along the lines of "I knew the school I attended wasn't compatible with my career goals" might work and not be not truthful. Just my opinion.

Failing that (no pun intended) I would try to mitigate the F, threaten to the dean that you're going to drop out, plead with the professor, whatever.

All your other plans/ideas are kind of out there to me. If you go to law school in Montana, expect to try and find a job in Montana. If you want a job in CA of course you can take the CA bar, but it will require some serious hustling to get a job in CA with a Montana JD. And whatever you might find will almost certainly be a small firm/local gov type gig. You could maybe transfer (if the F doesn't hurt you too much or you can get it to go away) but that's pretty dicey if you're transferring to, say, Loyola unless it's inexpensive.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't finish the semester, you (presumably) won't have a transcript. Explaining that you dropped out of 1L the first time is a pain, but it's better than having an F on your transcript. Drop out Monday and don't look back.

I've been working day and night, hardly eating, most of the days I sleep 6 hours only sometimes 4, I know I'll get good grades on my other classes, the problem is about one stupid mistake. It's not that I didn't write the memo, I just didn't submit it on time. I was planning to use it for summer employment. Was all of my hard work for nothing? Isn't it easier to explain a single F and As compared to dropping out and losing a full year?

I know what you say and I appreciate it. I'm just trying to better understand the mess I got myself into.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:36 am

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:53 am

BigZuck wrote:
alex90 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Going to law school in Montana, picking up an F along the way, then moving to China and eventually hoping to get a job in CA (or is it China? I can't really tell what the plan is) just seems crazy to me.

This is what I would do:

If you can drop out this minute and all you're out is money, there are no other repercussions (meaning you don't get any grades this semester and can just start at a clean slate), I would drop out, retake and reapply and have a good reason to explain away attending law school for almost an entire semester when you apply again. An addendum along the lines of "I knew the school I attended wasn't compatible with my career goals" might work and not be not truthful. Just my opinion.

Failing that (no pun intended) I would try to mitigate the F, threaten to the dean that you're going to drop out, plead with the professor, whatever.

All your other plans/ideas are kind of out there to me. If you go to law school in Montana, expect to try and find a job in Montana. If you want a job in CA of course you can take the CA bar, but it will require some serious hustling to get a job in CA with a Montana JD. And whatever you might find will almost certainly be a small firm/local gov type gig. You could maybe transfer (if the F doesn't hurt you too much or you can get it to go away) but that's pretty dicey if you're transferring to, say, Loyola unless it's inexpensive.

I did want to go to a California school but applied too late in the cycle. Maybe I should've applied to more/lower schools, Idk but my intention wasn't to go to Montana even though I ended up there, with the scholarship being the biggest incentive. I was waitlisted in California and waited until the last hour when I started driving.

I just said this thing about China to make a point that the guy who graduated in California who learned the language (he is a Caucasian) and currently works for a big big Chinese firm didn't go to a high ranking law school. But he knew Chinese and that was very valuable for his employers, so he compensated his school record with that. He got an offer in California but chose the better one in China (not to mention the low living expenses there).

I know what you mean about going to school in Montana and finding a job there. I was hoping to transfer, instead of wasting an year, the admissions office said that I have a great chance and all I need to do is get good grades (not great grades - it was after I submitted my LOR from the UC Berkeley professor). How little did I know...
Last edited by alex90 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:55 am

sublime wrote:How late was the memo?

Over a week, I messed up the dates. And we didn't have classes - she was dealing with her divorce.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:00 am

I'd probably threaten to drop out. Honestly don't know if your career can recover from an F in legal writing at a bad school.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:05 am

banjo wrote:I'd probably threaten to drop out. Honestly don't know if your career can recover from an F in legal writing at a bad school.

I just read every handbook and every rule. I'll double check with the registrar tomorrow but it appears that it's already too late to withdraw from any class. If I don't take the finals, I'll just get more Fs.

I don't know what to do, I think I'm going crazy.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:34 am

I would definitely drop out and cut your losses here. Nothing good is going to come out of you spending another two and half years at this school, and nobody at the firms you're interested in wants to look at Montana Magna grads, much less Montana grads who get Fs in LRW because they (really) can't get important dates straight.

Your plan sounds straight-up disastrous. Law Review w/ an F in lrw? No. Transferring to a "T1" california school? First, with an F on the transcript, good luck. Second, all of the schools that would consider you in CA have fucking terrible job placement. Below UCLA/USC there is really nothing but death and destruction (UCLA and USC only have a moderate amount of death and destruction). Third, even if you would transfer to one of these CA "T1" TTTs (or to UCLA or USC), it's going to be at sticker price. Death. Terrible job prospects and guaranteed (an additional) > 150K in debt? That's your plan to make up for not retaking and moving to Montana?

Getting an LLM is a great way to double down on your mistakes of not retaking/not going in the first place. Just going to throw a year down the drain, not really improve your job prospects, and add another 70K to that debt load. Nobody gives a fuck about an LLM unless it's in tax from one of like three schools. It will not make you a more attractive candidate; in fact, it can make you seem more like damaged goods.

The situation here is bleak as fuck. If you really want to be a lawyer, especially a lawyer in California, dropping out before you get these grades, retaking, then going to a good CA school with a good scholarship is the best route. The only way I would advise not dropping out is if you: (1) sincerely like Montana, (2) you have legitimate reason to think you're going to crush your finals, (3) you're ready to hustle with the townie bar and network like crazy/prove you want to stay for a long time/are not a Cali bro/suck dick, and (4) you are not going to graduate w/ more than like 60K, tops, in debt, as you're simply not going to be able to find a job, period, that can handle a much bigger debt load.

Good luck dude.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:54 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:...dropping out before you get these grades, retaking, then going to a good CA school with a good scholarship is the best route.

I can't drop out now without getting all Fs at this point. If I apply for next year's class, schools will still see my F and I'll probably be placed on probation because of it. Any thoughts on that? You are right about everything.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:10 pm

That seems extremely harsh. I doubt they would really do that to you.

I would go to the admissions thread and see if Spivey can give some advice on this (whether late withdrawal "penalty Fs" would be serious detractor in admissions).

Either way, thinking about another career is probably be the best route to go here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Are you going to get a D overall in the course, or a D on the assignment? I'm confused. Weren't there other graded assignments in this class? I'm confused as to how failing 1 assignment, even a big assignment, gives you an F.

I'm also confused about the curve at your school. Our curve bottoms out at 2.0 and the lowest grade in our legal writing class was a 2.7 (I know because that was me). Is your professor even allowed to give you below a 2.0?

I agree with those who said to drop out before grades. I don't know why you're blathering on about it being "too late to withdraw." I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say you will be "on probation" if you re-enroll at a new school. Just drop out now. They cannot give you all Fs if you drop out before taking finals. That makes zero sense.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:33 pm

I would absolutely threaten to withdraw/drop out if the administration won't step in and force the legal writing instructor to accept the paper from an otherwise top performing student and/or give you a pass and let you retake.

Legal writing instructors typically aren't tenured professors. Somehow I doubt he or she really has the pull to fuck over a student like this. Apply more pressure: if necessary, say you submitted the paper late due to a personal circumstances, i.e., family emergency, extreme trauma over Ferguson/Garner, ect.

While we all love to beat on law profs and administration, I'd note lastly that you should reflect a little on some of your recent decision-making; not only your poor choice of school given your goals, but why would you submit your memo late when the policy specifically said you would fail if you did so? It doesn't add up.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you going to get a D overall in the course, or a D on the assignment? I'm confused. Weren't there other graded assignments in this class? I'm confused as to how failing 1 assignment, even a big assignment, gives you an F.

I'm also confused about the curve at your school. Our curve bottoms out at 2.0 and the lowest grade in our legal writing class was a 2.7 (I know because that was me). Is your professor even allowed to give you below a 2.0?

I agree with those who said to drop out before grades. I don't know why you're blathering on about it being "too late to withdraw." I also have no idea what you're talking about when you say you will be "on probation" if you re-enroll at a new school. Just drop out now. They cannot give you all Fs if you drop out before taking finals. That makes zero sense.

I'll get a zero on the assignment and possibly F in the class overall. The last time I spoke with her she said that the highest grade I can get at this point is a D but she mentioned that she needs to see how the others are doing and told me to prepare for the worst. I thought that she's kidding but I found out that there are other students retaking her class. D is a passing grade but no matter what the curve is if some students have had to repeat the class, then an F is a real possibility. She hasn't answered any of my latest e-mails.

The only hope I have for getting a D is that she hasn't graded two minor assignments (it's been over 6 weeks). She apologized many times mentioning the divorce as an excuse. I don't blame her, I understand that everyone has personal problems and am hoping that the rest of my submitted asignments would be enough to give me a D. But personally a D is the same as an F as far as employers are concerned.

After speaking with the Dean he said that the deadline for withdrawal has passed and now I have to deal with the registrar's office. He was right - the rule was in the handbook. I have to file a petition citing an extraordinary circumstance and was thinking about the psychologyst that I have an appointment with. But that appointment is after my first final.

What I meant when I said that I'll be on probation was that I won't be in good academic standing considering that I'll have an F on my transcript and will have to report that to the LSAC. Even if I reapply the other schools will see it anyway. I don't think that I used the word probation correctly, I've never though that I'd end up in that kind of situation. If I don'ty take the other finals, I'll get all Fs.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote: Legal writing instructors typically aren't tenured professors. Somehow I doubt he or she really has the pull to fuck over a student like this.

She can do that without a problem, trust me.

jbagelboy wrote:While we all love to beat on law profs and administration, I'd note lastly that you should reflect a little on some of your recent decision-making; not only your poor choice of school given your goals, but why would you submit your memo late when the policy specifically said you would fail if you did so? It doesn't add up.

I know, I know - I made a mistake with the school but until last week everything was going according to my plan - I thought that I'll be able to transfer, don't spend much money the first year, and save one year of my life. And it's my fault for the late submission, I messed up the dates, it has happened only twice in my entire college education. Her classes were cancelled, I got carried away with studying for the other courses, and doing some additional reading. It's a mistake that will cost me a better life and I'll always regret doing it.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:29 pm

It's absolutely nuts to assume you're going to be able to transfer to a good law school with an F or D on your transcript at a TTT. You had to be in the top five percent. The word curve or median never should come up. There isn't a strong correlation b/w LRW and other classes but you needed close to a perfect record. Just drop out. They can't fail u for not taking finals, could they?

I'd try to speak to her in person. A 0 on the assignment is rough even if she did say that on the sheet. It's not fair to the rest of a curved class to forgive it, but I don't think anybody would say it's like not doing it. Just seems really harsh. Big gap b/w lowest grade in the class and a 0. At this pt she already fucked with your head for other finals.

I would leave her divorce out of it. Kinda uncool to say her divorce is impacting her judgment. That's not the mindset that'll get her on your side.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:30 pm

alex90 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: Legal writing instructors typically aren't tenured professors. Somehow I doubt he or she really has the pull to fuck over a student like this.

She can do that without a problem, trust me.

jbagelboy wrote:While we all love to beat on law profs and administration, I'd note lastly that you should reflect a little on some of your recent decision-making; not only your poor choice of school given your goals, but why would you submit your memo late when the policy specifically said you would fail if you did so? It doesn't add up.

I know, I know - I made a mistake with the school but until last week everything was going according to my plan - I thought that I'll be able to transfer, don't spend much money the first year, and save one year of my life. And it's my fault for the late submission, I messed up the dates, it has happened only twice in my entire college education. Her classes were cancelled, I got carried away with studying for the other courses, and doing some additional reading. It's a mistake that will cost me a better life and I'll always regret doing it.

Didn't you have friends in the class? How didn't you find out about it?

Return to “Legal Employment”