About to fail a class. Do I still have a chance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alex90

About to fail a class. Do I still have a chance?

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:38 am

Hi guys,

Long story short - I submitted the last assignment after the deadline for my 1L legal writing class and will probably fail the course. I tried everything - I even begged the professor but she doesn't want to hear me - her syllabus says that if you submit an assignment late you won't get any points. She said that the highest grade I can get is a "D" but she has to adjust the curve and told me to expect the worst. I've heard that she's going through a rough divorce right now which might be the reason why she is so strict (although there are 2Ls retaking the same class this year). I've spoken with the Dean and he said that he can't do anything and it's already too late for me to withdraw from that class.

I'm in the top 10, if not top 5 in my other courses, out of around 80 students. I study at Montana with a scholarship but want to practice corporate/tax law in Cali, was waitlisted at a T1 school and was planning to transfer there. Obviously, the transferring won't work out but would appreciate any thoughts on employment prospects, including clerkships, considering the future "F" on my transcript. I don't want to work for Sullivan & Cromwell but don't want to have to go solo either. My goal has always been to work for a mid-sized firm 100-200 lawyers. My second concern is whether I can salvage the bad grade by doing something extra - an LLM, pro-bono, JD/MBA, study abroad (I speak German and Mandarin), etc.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, I'd appreciate them all!

BigZuck

Re: About to fail a class. Do I still have a chance?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:44 am

alex90 wrote:Hi guys,

Long story short - I submitted the last assignment after the deadline for my 1L legal writing class and will probably fail the course. I tried everything - I even begged the professor but she doesn't want to hear me - her syllabus says that if you submit an assignment late you won't get any points. She said that the highest grade I can get is a "D" but she has to adjust the curve and told me to expect the worst. I've heard that she's going through a rough divorce right now which might be the reason why she is so strict (although there are 2Ls retaking the same class this year). I've spoken with the Dean and he said that he can't do anything and it's already too late for me to withdraw from that class.

I'm in the top 10, if not top 5 in my other courses, out of around 80 students. I study at Montana with a scholarship but want to practice corporate/tax law in Cali, was waitlisted at a T1 school and was planning to transfer there. Obviously, the transferring won't work out but would appreciate any thoughts on employment prospects, including clerkships, considering the future "F" on my transcript. I don't want to work for Sullivan & Cromwell but don't want to have to go solo either. My goal has always been to work for a mid-sized firm 100-200 lawyers. My second concern is whether I can salvage the bad grade by doing something extra - an LLM, pro-bono, JD/MBA, study abroad (I speak German and Mandarin), etc.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, I'd appreciate them all!

I'm not really sure where to start here...

Before we go any further, I need to ask you a question and you have to be 100% honest with me/us: Is this a flame?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:46 am

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:49 am

sublime wrote:How do you already know where you rank in your substantive classes?

Based on my midterm results and my talks with the other professors. And I'm very serious.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:50 am

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:51 am

why do people assume it's easier to get midlaw than biglaw.....

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 am

I really hope that I am wrongly inferring that you are from California but decided to go to law school in Montana because they gave you a scholarship

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:I really hope that I am wrongly inferring that you are from California but decided to go to law school in Montana because they gave you a scholarship

Unfortunately, your inference isn't wrong. I admit - it wasn't the smartest decision...

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:56 am

mvp99 wrote:why do people assume it's easier to get midlaw than biglaw.....

I don't think that it's easy, I just don't want to work in the biggest markets - L.A. or S.F. and am looking for a regional/mid-sized firm.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:58 am

sublime wrote:wrt flame -

Are you even taking a legal writing class right now?

http://www.umt.edu/law/students/firstyear.php

And regardless - Montana is really strict about what classes you have to take.

Property II, torts II? eeewwwww

is there a "pass" option?

Your options were not good to begin with. I don't think doing "extra work" will help a D

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:58 am

alex90 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:why do people assume it's easier to get midlaw than biglaw.....

I don't think that it's easy, I just don't want to work in the biggest markets - L.A. or S.F. and am looking for a regional/mid-sized firm.

easier but I get what you're saying

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:03 am

mvp99 wrote:
is there a "pass" option?

Your options were not good to begin with. I don't think doing "extra work" will help a D

According to the Dean it's to late to try to drop the class or petition for a pass/fail. He said that I'll have to take whatever grade I get and even if I get an "A" in the same class next year the "D"/"F" will show on my transcript anyway.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:05 am

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:05 am

What are the repercussions of just dropping out altogether right now? Could you do so, retake the LSAT in June, and then apply to schools next year and do it right this time around?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:08 am

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:15 am

sublime wrote:
BigZuck wrote:What are the repercussions of just dropping out altogether right now? Could you do so, retake the LSAT in June, and then apply to schools next year and do it right this time around?

Or, depending what you are paying, threatening to do so.

What do you mean though? Looks like Montana COA is dirt cheap, even non-resident at sticker so most he would be out is about 15K right now if he left

Or, are you saying that if he is paying very little then he should just threaten with the thought of staying through the year because he can get through the year cheaply and if he actually does have good grades, he can transfer?

(don't know if it's a he but my brain is too fried to make the post gender neutral atm)

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 am

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:28 am

BigZuck wrote:
sublime wrote:
BigZuck wrote:What are the repercussions of just dropping out altogether right now? Could you do so, retake the LSAT in June, and then apply to schools next year and do it right this time around?

Or, depending what you are paying, threatening to do so.

What do you mean though? Looks like Montana COA is dirt cheap, even non-resident at sticker so most he would be out is about 15K right now if he left

Or, are you saying that if he is paying very little then he should just threaten with the thought of staying through the year because he can get through the year cheaply and if he actually does have good grades, he can transfer?

(don't know if it's a he but my brain is too fried to make the post gender neutral atm)

Is transferring with an "F" in LW a possibility, as long as I ace the other classes? Yes, I am a he btw and I really appreciate all of your comments guys!!!

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:29 am

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:35 am

sublime wrote:I'm sure you can find someone to take your money. It would be best to try to get it wiped though.

Agree. The only transfer that would make sense would be Berkeley/Stanford (both extremely unlikely without a 4.0 especially the furd). Maybe USC/UCLA could make sense if you really keep debt down this year and/or have a rich benefactor paying your way because you would only be on the hook for sticker price for 2 years but I doubt they would accept you with an F on your transcript.

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:48 am

BigZuck wrote:
sublime wrote:I'm sure you can find someone to take your money. It would be best to try to get it wiped though.

Agree. The only transfer that would make sense would be Berkeley/Stanford (both extremely unlikely without a 4.0 especially the furd). Maybe USC/UCLA could make sense if you really keep debt down this year and/or have a rich benefactor paying your way because you would only be on the hook for sticker price for 2 years but I doubt they would accept you with an F on your transcript.

Yeah, I know. At this point I don't even dare consider UCLA/USC which is pretty disappointing because my parents live in L.A. and I wouldn't need to pay for living expenses. I was rejected by UC Davis and waitlisted/rejected by Pepperdine.

I can get a LOR from a Berkeley law professor (he wrote me one when I was applying to law school) and I'll try to get more from Yale and Harvard graduates. Will this help in any way to transfer even with an "F" on the record?

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:07 am

Does the curve rlly let u drop that far down? @ BC ive never heard of anyone get below a B-

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 am

fratstar1 wrote:Does the curve rlly let u drop that far down? @ BC ive never heard of anyone get below a B-

I'm not sure, I've never thought I'd deal with such a problem but since there are people who repeat that class I'm guessing that they must have gotten lower than a "B-".

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:23 am

also confused was this a graded midterm? or r they just like u suck now ull prolly suck later good luck

alex90

Postby alex90 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 am

fratstar1 wrote:also confused was this a graded midterm? or r they just like u suck now ull prolly suck later good luck

Yes, the midterms were graded. Nobody got 100% but I was near the top, way above the average and that was before I did my outlines.

Return to “Legal Employment”