Bronx DA VS Brooklyn DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

BX or BK

BX
18%
BK
26%
F&ck you you prosecuting scum bag. You're part of a broken system. No one should be prosecutors! That's how we break the system!
56%

Total votes: 39

Anonymous User

Bronx DA VS Brooklyn DA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Which office is best to start at?
Bronx pays 5K more a year but LRAP means that this isn't a dispositive factor. I'm more interested amount of responsibility, training, how quickly you'll get to felonies, etc. Bronx has a good reputation on the internet, but speaking with NYC practitioners it sounds like Brooklyn has just as good a reputation. Flip-side: Brooklyn is switching from horizontal prosecution to vertical, and the transition period may or may not be kind on the newest ADAs.

CaptainLeela

Re: Bronx VS Brooklyn

Postby CaptainLeela » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 pm

You'd probably get more people in here to comment constructively if you said in your title that you are looking at the DAs offices, not just the boroughs

GL with your decision!

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:30 pm

You would also get more accurate opinions if you didn't put in a wasteful, and unfunny, poll option.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

From what I've heard, Brooklyn had a reputation as a somewhat dysfunctional office by the end of the Hynes era. I mean as a place to work/get good experience and skills; that's putting aside the evident cronyism and politically motivated charging decisions (Hasidic sex abuse cases, etc.) Not sure whether or how much the former has changed under Thompson, though he seems to be doing a good job re the latter.

djaja

Postby djaja » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Bronx has a more 'Brady who?' type of office, while Brooklyn is more about false confessions. Also, rent is cheaper in the Bronx.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:37 pm

OP. Yeah good point if I know how to change the thread title as anonymous I would.

Djaja - are you getting this vibe from the news stories this year (Bronx/girl who buried brady, BK/Scarcella)? or contacts at the office/who've gone against them in court? just wondering since the former story points to conduct alot more recent...

A nony - thanks for that, tho I appreciated djaja's input. You'd be amazed at the dearth of info on DA's offices out there. Although it could be viewed as "bashing the profession", I'm assuming that offices don't get these reputations based on thin air and curious to get more color on them.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A nony - thanks for that, tho I appreciated djaja's input. You'd be amazed at the dearth of info on DA's offices out there. Although it could be viewed as "bashing the profession", I'm assuming that offices don't get these reputations based on thin air and curious to get more color on them.

You are kinder than I am. :D I'm not convinced the info is about actual reputations rather than from someone who doesn't like prosecutors who found a couple of articles, but I may be uncharitable.

sd5289

Re: Bronx DA VS Brooklyn DA

Postby sd5289 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:23 pm

There are benefits to both, but your info on salaries is a little off. Brooklyn starts at $52K, and the Bronx now starts at $58.5K (prior to admission) / $60.5K (upon admission), so there's actually a fairly sizable difference. Before you write that difference off (however both are going to qualify for the PSLF and IBR options), make sure you qualify for your school's LRAP and that it's a good LRAP.

As for the two offices, here are the benefits/disadvantages to each:

In the Bronx, you're going to be seeing more serious and/or violent crimes at a faster pace than you would at a place like Manhattan because that's just how it goes in the Bronx. At the same time, the Bronx has had some high profile Brady violations over the years, but you can help with that by just not committing any. Also, you're kinda stuck with the 4 train only to get to the Bronx office, but hey, it's about 10 steps away from Yankee stadium during the summer.

Brooklyn seems to be trying to get its shit together under Thompson, and you can see from what they've announced lately and the reorganization of the office structure that he's serious about that. I'm interested to see how Brooklyn progresses over the next 5 years. Based on what he's done so far, I could really see him turning Brooklyn around. The downside is that going there now means you get to deal with the Hynes fallout, whatever that may be. However, the office is far more accessible than the Bronx (off the 4, 5, A, R, F, etc. lines). But Brooklyn is so expensive to live in now that you'll probably have to live in Manhattan (bizarre, I know) and commute down.

And remember, these are two excellent options to have. It's hard becoming an ADA in NYC (DANY, Bk, Bx, and Qu). These are two fairly different options though, so I think it just comes down to what you're more attracted to: Bronx is more set in its ways but you're bound to see a lot of action very quickly, whereas in Brooklyn you'd be part of a new administration that (hopefully) will clean that office up and repair the damage done by some of the Hynes scandals.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A nony - thanks for that, tho I appreciated djaja's input. You'd be amazed at the dearth of info on DA's offices out there. Although it could be viewed as "bashing the profession", I'm assuming that offices don't get these reputations based on thin air and curious to get more color on them.

You are kinder than I am. :D I'm not convinced the info is about actual reputations rather than from someone who doesn't like prosecutors who found a couple of articles, but I may be uncharitable.

The two respective scandals certainly hit the reputations of both offices, but both offices are also "known" for other things (which I touched on in my post above).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:18 am

sd5289 wrote:There are benefits to both, but your info on salaries is a little off. Brooklyn starts at $52K, and the Bronx now starts at $58.5K (prior to admission) / $60.5K (upon admission), so there's actually a fairly sizable difference. Before you write that difference off (however both are going to qualify for the PSLF and IBR options), make sure you qualify for your school's LRAP and that it's a good LRAP.

Truth. The $8K difference is not something to take lightly. Additionally, BX has given regular yearly bonuses to ADAs in the $1K-$3K range.

sd5289 wrote:In the Bronx, you're going to be seeing more serious and/or violent crimes at a faster pace than you would at a place like Manhattan because that's just how it goes in the Bronx. At the same time, the Bronx has had some high profile Brady violations over the years, but you can help with that by just not committing any. Also, you're kinda stuck with the 4 train only to get to the Bronx office, but hey, it's about 10 steps away from Yankee stadium during the summer.

It really depends on what you mean by serious/violent crimes. In BX, you're not touching felonies for two years, however, you will have a misdemeanor case load of 150-200 cases. Once you move to grand jury, you will indict most felonies and send them off to trial ADAs. After your commitment is up you'll get felony trial training and you'll start doing felony trials. 3+ years for felony trials, 7+ for homicides (if you're lucky).

There's also the D which makes getting to the office fairly easy from anywhere in NYC.

Any other questions about BX just ask, I'll check back in the thread sometime this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for all the info guys and gals.

Any insight on how specialization in Rackets/DV/Org. Crime/Investigations works at either one of the offices?

At BX, are bonuses decided by seniority or what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:03 am

Interested to hear about what kind of/how early one can get to - vertical prosecution at the boogie down

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the info guys and gals.

Any insight on how specialization in Rackets/DV/Org. Crime/Investigations works at either one of the offices?

They pay bonuses...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sd5289 wrote:There are benefits to both, but your info on salaries is a little off. Brooklyn starts at $52K, and the Bronx now starts at $58.5K (prior to admission) / $60.5K (upon admission), so there's actually a fairly sizable difference. Before you write that difference off (however both are going to qualify for the PSLF and IBR options), make sure you qualify for your school's LRAP and that it's a good LRAP.

Truth. The $8K difference is not something to take lightly. Additionally, BX has given regular yearly bonuses to ADAs in the $1K-$3K range.

sd5289 wrote:In the Bronx, you're going to be seeing more serious and/or violent crimes at a faster pace than you would at a place like Manhattan because that's just how it goes in the Bronx. At the same time, the Bronx has had some high profile Brady violations over the years, but you can help with that by just not committing any. Also, you're kinda stuck with the 4 train only to get to the Bronx office, but hey, it's about 10 steps away from Yankee stadium during the summer.

It really depends on what you mean by serious/violent crimes. In BX, you're not touching felonies for two years, however, you will have a misdemeanor case load of 150-200 cases. Once you move to grand jury, you will indict most felonies and send them off to trial ADAs. After your commitment is up you'll get felony trial training and you'll start doing felony trials. 3+ years for felony trials, 7+ for homicides (if you're lucky).

There's also the D which makes getting to the office fairly easy from anywhere in NYC.

Any other questions about BX just ask, I'll check back in the thread sometime this week.

Could you speak to life at the BXDA at all? Mostly interested in the hours, how easy it is to get vacation days, and how often you respond to investigations? I saw a lot on the application about the 24 hour commitment—just wondering how that plays out day to day. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Could you speak to life at the BXDA at all? Mostly interested in the hours, how easy it is to get vacation days, and how often you respond to investigations? I saw a lot on the application about the 24 hour commitment—just wondering how that plays out day to day. Thanks!

Vacation days are easy, and mandatory. The office wants every assistant to take time off, recharge, and come back refreshed. Your days will be stressful and busy, you need the time off.

Typically we work one week of nights every few months (Complaint Room or Arraignment shifts) which is 6pm - 2am and a weekend shift every two months. I haven't had to work a major holiday yet (knocks on wood). We almost never respond to investigations unless you are on felony homicide duty, which doesn't happen until roughly year 7.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:They pay bonuses...?

Yes.

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all the info guys and gals.

There is information about this on the website. As a new assistant you are assigned to the Criminal Court Bureau, where the majority of new ADAs go, Domestic Violence, Investigations, Rackets, or Appeals. The specialized bureaus are selective and you interview for them during orientation/training.

As for bonuses, who knows.

Return to “Legal Employment”