Publishing out of law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Publishing out of law school

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm currently working as a derivatives (ISDA/Prime Brokerage) contract negotiator for an investment bank. While the work is actually pretty interesting, and there is plenty of room to grow within the confines of the role (ie. Expanding the suite of agreements negotiated), I am looking to see how I can get a more well-rounded skill set for my career from a legal perspective. My job is predominantly transactional in nature and largely eludes the regulatory aspects (Dodd Frank, EMIR) of the field ie. Think of a capital markets lawyer who drafts all the underlying documents for a listing but does not have to do any research or compliance work with the 33 and 34 acts. My gut feeling is I could at some point in the distant future move to a firm (big or small) that specializes in this area, as I already do all the transactional work my counterparts at firms do (I negotiate directly with the counterparty’s outside counsel). The only thing missing for me is the kind of regulatory and legal breadth my counterparts at firms are probably getting. To make a long story short, I am wondering how I can get that kind of regulatory and legal experience outside of my current role. My superior and colleagues all welcome any extracurricular research done internally (ie. Memos or primers circulated to the team), as we do work with a bunch of regulations (CEA, EMIR, FATCA) for which we consult specialized internal counsel. However, if in the future I explore other career options, it will be hard to point to those internal memos as concrete accomplishments in the legal/regulatory sphere. Are there publications – perhaps related to the bar or industry groups – that would take submissions from those outside academia and out of law school?

Jchance

Re: Publishing out of law school

Postby Jchance » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:12 pm

KD35

Re: Publishing out of law school

Postby KD35 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 pm

I feel like I see a lot of publications by actual practitioners. Granted, they are not in Harvard Law Review, but I do seem them. There are also practitioner publications that I have stumbled across while doing various research assignments. Just take a look at your local city/state bar and some of the industry/practice area specific legal organizations.

Return to “Legal Employment”