Vault Compensation Rankings

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vault Compensation Rankings

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 pm

I will be working next year as a first year associate at a firm ranked between 3 and 8 in the Vault Compensation rankings.

I thought that compensation is mostly lock-step for young associates at law firm, including bonuses. So my question is whether I should expect bonuses any higher than the typical 10-15K for bonus compensation (assuming I hit the requirement for bonuses)?

If the bonuses are more or less the same and the starting salary the same (besides W&C), how does vault calculate these rankings?

anonnymouse

Re: Vault Compensation Rankings

Postby anonnymouse » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:33 pm

The Same Page the Rankings Are On wrote:Associates were asked to rate their firm on a 1-to-10 scale for each of several quality of life categories. The firm's score in each quality of life category is simply the average of the scores its associates gave in that area. It is important to note that those firms without a high enough aggregate of associates completing the survey were ineligible to appear in these rankings.

So they are based on associate survey responses. Maybe some associates feel that $170k is fair compensation at one firm while associates at another find it too low.

As an aside, what keeps candidates from searching/asking for this information prior to interviewing, let alone accepting offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 pm

anonnymouse wrote:
The Same Page the Rankings Are On wrote:Associates were asked to rate their firm on a 1-to-10 scale for each of several quality of life categories. The firm's score in each quality of life category is simply the average of the scores its associates gave in that area. It is important to note that those firms without a high enough aggregate of associates completing the survey were ineligible to appear in these rankings.

So they are based on associate survey responses. Maybe some associates feel that $170k is fair compensation at one firm while associates at another find it too low.

As an aside, what keeps candidates from searching/asking for this information prior to interviewing, let alone accepting offers?

Interesting, was looking at all of those links. Doesn't Fish offer both salary advance and a stipend (3 weeks pay)?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:47 pm

The rankings are completely worthless.

Return to “Legal Employment”