How difficult is it to change markets throughout a career?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How difficult is it to change markets throughout a career?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:32 pm

For those of you working now, do you intend to stay in the market you're in? If you plan to change markets somewhere down the line, how difficult do you foresee this being? I'm in a major market right now that I really enjoy but I don't know if I'll want to stay here forever. It's more than a little daunting to think about how difficult it would be to switch markets considering my entire network is here.

Anonymous User

Re: How difficult is it to change markets throughout a career?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you working now, do you intend to stay in the market you're in? If you plan to change markets somewhere down the line, how difficult do you foresee this being? I'm in a major market right now that I really enjoy but I don't know if I'll want to stay here forever. It's more than a little daunting to think about how difficult it would be to switch markets considering my entire network is here.

It obviously depends on your current firm and market. Cravath/S&C in NYC -> any firm/any market would not be hard. Smaller firm in secondary market -> big firm/in-house in NYC, DC, etc. would be hard.

Return to “Legal Employment”