Should I Take This Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I accept the offer?

YES
89%
NO
11%

Total votes: 19

Bron Burgundy

Should I Take This Offer?

Postby Bron Burgundy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:28 pm

I recently got a job offer from a small insurance coverage and defense firm. Starting salary is $64k, billable is 160 a month (which works out to be 1,920 a year), full benefits kick in after 3 months. I liked the firm after the interview, but was setting a minimum salary for myself of $70k-75k. They said the salary is non-negotiable. Should I accept this offer? Should I expect a higher salary?

About the firm:

Insurance coverage/defense and construction defect work
Really friendly from what I could tell in my two interviews
Say they are a "lifestyle" firm and not too strict on meeting minimum billables if you're close
<10 attorneys
About 15 minutes away from where I live.

About me:

TTT grad, Top 25%, Flagship Law Review
Law clerk experience in litigation and construction defect during law school
Just passed CA Bar exam
About 67k in loans
No kids and unmarried

I'm also waiting to hear back from a workers comp defense firm. Don't have an offer from them yet and they seem like they would work longer hours. They are also located about an hour away from me, so the commute would be longer or I would have to move. I wouldn't mind the longer hours if the pay were better than the $64k offer I have now.

Thoughts?

fanlinxun

Re: Should I Take This Offer?

Postby fanlinxun » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 pm

When you really need a job you don't necessarily get to set the floor for your salary. If you like the work and the firm then you should run with it.

You can try to delay making a decision for as long as possible. If you get up against the deadline, however, it's probably time to accept and move forward. There is an opportunity cost (a few months salary and a few more months of unemployment on your resume) to waiting for a better job.

transferror

Postby transferror » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 pm

64k in Cali is tough, but what else are you going to do? you're better off starting work at the firm and looking to trade up than remaining unemployed and looking to trade up. This is a pretty good outcome from a Cali TTT and you're fortunate enough to have manageable debt, so congrats.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Bron Burgundy wrote:I recently got a job offer from a small insurance coverage and defense firm. Starting salary is $64k, billable is 160 a month (which works out to be 1,920 a year), full benefits kick in after 3 months. I liked the firm after the interview, but was setting a minimum salary for myself of $70k-75k. They said the salary is non-negotiable. Should I accept this offer? Should I expect a higher salary?

About the firm:

Insurance coverage/defense and construction defect work
Really friendly from what I could tell in my two interviews
Say they are a "lifestyle" firm and not too strict on meeting minimum billables if you're close
<10 attorneys
About 15 minutes away from where I live.

About me:

TTT grad, Top 25%, Flagship Law Review
Law clerk experience in litigation and construction defect during law school
Just passed CA Bar exam
About 67k in loans
No kids and unmarried

I'm also waiting to hear back from a workers comp defense firm. Don't have an offer from them yet and they seem like they would work longer hours. They are also located about an hour away from me, so the commute would be longer or I would have to move. I wouldn't mind the longer hours if the pay were better than the $64k offer I have now.

Thoughts?

Depends a lot on where you are living and the cost of living there. Why did you set your minimum at 70-75? Is that necessary to live where you do, or was it arbitrary? If you live in San Francisco, you'll probably want to try to get the highest pay you can. If you live farther inland, in a cheaper area, where 64k can get you by without you being miserable, then go with the job you think you'll like better.

Also, you may be better off taking this and then looking for something else, depending on when they want an answer and when you think the other firm will get back to you.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 pm

1L just dropping in to say leverage that shit with the other firm, force them to give a solid answer, then reassess.

Congrats though, doesn't sound like a bad outcome, at the least.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:1L just dropping in to say leverage that shit with the other firm, force them to give a solid answer, then reassess.

Congrats though, doesn't sound like a bad outcome, at the least.

no.

TTT grad and only top 25%. Sing praise you got an offer and accept. Keep looking though.

Bron Burgundy

Postby Bron Burgundy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks for your input everyone. I called the firm and accepted the offer. I live in OC so I can manage with this salary.

Pikappraider

Postby Pikappraider » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:43 am

Bron Burgundy wrote:Thanks for your input everyone. I called the firm and accepted the offer. I live in OC so I can manage with this salary.

Was going to say to definitely accept. Grats on landing a job.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:51 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:1L just dropping in to say...

Just no.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:58 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:1L just dropping in to say...

Just no.

Lol +1. Career advice from a first-semester 1L is not credited

Return to “Legal Employment”