DC firm - where to live?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: DC firm - where to live?

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster who will be working at 15th / K.

So it looks like being able to walk to work may be out of the question.

Assuming that to be the case, what is the next best option for a single, 27 year-old guy looking for a reasonable commute with good access to bars / concert venues?

I know... I am not being particular at all

Why is walking out of the question?

But U street or anything on 14th south of petworth is good.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Previous poster who will be working at 15th / K.

So it looks like being able to walk to work may be out of the question.

Assuming that to be the case, what is the next best option for a single, 27 year-old guy looking for a reasonable commute with good access to bars / concert venues?

I know... I am not being particular at all

U Street/Columbia Heights. Housing prices are not as obscene as downtown (but still bad from this suburbanite's perspective), and you are right on top of bars, restaurants, and concert venues. Adams Morgan is another possibility if you want nicer accommodations and are comfortable living on the red line (see the discussion above re: the perils of Metro).

Question for the commentariat: is Orange line really that much better than Red? This may be an argument to bring to my wife when we talk about house-hunting for an upgrade.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Cool - many thanks for the replies... Next difficulty will be finding a place to live while traveling with limited internet in South America... Definitely not a big law problem...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Is DC big law comparatively more chill than NYC big law, so that I can live 30 minutes away from work? Or should I try to live as closely to the office as possible . . . .

hdivschool

Postby hdivschool » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:56 am

About to move to DC. I'll be working near Farragut Square. And I'm thinking about living in Northern Virginia (maybe Rosslyn?). What are the best places in Northern Virginia?

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:28 am

hdivschool wrote:About to move to DC. I'll be working near Farragut Square. And I'm thinking about living in Northern Virginia (maybe Rosslyn?). What are the best places in Northern Virginia?

I live in Rosslyn. It's not bad, but DF is right that it's more businesses than housing. There are apartments, though, that are pretty decent. You're also an easy trip over the bridge into Georgetown, although Georgetown's nightlife isn't what it used to be. Also, Rosslyn is kinda hilly, which can make a long walk to the metro suck.

Desert Fox

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:33 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

Gonna be heading to DC. Firm is on the Hill. Walked 20 minutes to work during the summer, and that was great. Would like to do that again.

Is there anything that sucks about living on the Hill permanently that I should be aware of? I've found a few decent 1br places for under 2k that are a 12-15 minute walk from work and 10 minutes from Union Station when I need the Metro.

Return to “Legal Employment”